Students are encouraged to begin thinking about planning for their career early on during their time at Imperial and to use College breaks to enhance their CVs with internships and other work experience.
Work experience and internships are an excellent opportunity to:
- gain real-world experience
- learn transferrable skills and improve skillsets for the workplace
- professionally network
- bolster your CV and career prospects
Support for careers guidance is given by the Departmental Careers Advisor and by the College Careers Advisors. Personal Tutors may also support students with professional skills and career planning.
- The Careers Advisors run regular talks in the Department to cover the job seeking cycle, from helping with the initial research, to creating a CV to applications and practice interviews. These talks are advertised to current students via email
- The Department organises an annual Mathematics Careers Speed Dating event (for UG Years 2-4 and MSc)
- Careers events organised by the Central Careers Service can be found in JobsLive
- CV checks/cover letter review individual appointment sessions are additionally held in the Department and run by the Careers service. Emails will be sent out to students to book sessions.
- More information for Current Students can be found on the Blackboard pages MathsCentral
The Careers Service
A team of professional Careers Advisers provide a wide range of services available to all undergraduate and postgraduate students in the College. These services include individual interviews with Careers Advisers, an extensive library of up-to-date careers information and a video library on topics such as applications, interviews and assessment and information and advice on vacation jobs including internships. In addition, the Careers Service organises Employer Presentations, Careers Talks, Employer Drop-In Days, Employer-led Skills Workshops, Mock Interview sessions, Psychometric Test sessions etc.
For more details, please access the Careers Service home page.
The Departmental Careers Adviser
Each Department in College has a member of academic staff as a departmental careers adviser who liaises closely with colleagues in the Careers Service. The Mathematics Department careers adviser is:
Professor Axel Gandy
Office: Room 530, Huxley
Within the Department, notices about Careers Talks, Employer Presentations, Vacancies, etc are sent via email and careers reference and take-away literature is available from the Careers Service and in the Mathematics Learning Centre.