MSc, PG Cert Innovations in Cardiological Science
Cutting edge research underpinning ‘state-of-the-art’ practice in adult cardiology
Duration: 1 year full-time
Start date: October
Duration: 4 months full-time
Start date: October
All four core modules are also available as short courses, see our short courses webpages for more information.
The MSc Innovations in Cardiological Science offers a unique exposure to four key areas in cardiology through our four streams:
- Innovations in Heart Failure
- Innovations in Coronary Artery Disease
- Innovations in Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Innovations in Electrophysiology: Theory and Practice
This is a one-off programme for those who already hold a medical degree and wish to commence further education at an internationally renowned institution at the forefront of innovations in cardiovascular science and clinical cardiology. This programme offers students the unique opportunity to study in conjunction with a world renowned specialist cardiology hospital - The Royal Brompton Hospital - and alongside some of its principal specialists who lead the modules in this course.
The combination of the Royal Brompton's principal specialists with the excellent research reputation of the National Heart & Lung Institute will give you the best opportunity to advance your medical career and network with leading medical and scientific professionals in cardiology.
All MSc students will take part in four compulsory stream-specific modules: Heart Failure, Coronary Artery Disease, Adult Congenital Heart Disease and Electrophysiology. You will then specialise in one of the four streams and take part in a further stream specific advanced study module in addition to conducting a stream-specific six-month research project. You can opt to do the four compulsory modules only and obtain a Postgraduate Certificate.
We normally require a UK bachelor’s degree in medicine or equivalent, with at least two years post-graduate work experience in a clinical setting.
All candidates must demonstrate a minimum level of English language proficiency for admission to the College.
For admission to this course, you must achieve the standard College requirement in the appropriate English language qualification. For details of the minimum grades required to achieve this requirement, please see the English language requirements for postgraduate applicants.
Is this programme for you?
This is a noteworthy programme in a prominent institution for science and clinical innovation which will appeal to all physicians with an interest in cardiological sciences.
All students will gain:
- An in-depth understanding of the science and cutting edge research relating to four cardiological sub-specialisms or streams.
- A critical awareness of current problems and developments relating to cutting edge management of cardiological conditions within each of the four sub-specialisms.
- The skills to critically evaluate the published literature on research and clinical practice in each of the four sub-specialisms.
- The ability to advance their knowledge and understanding through independent learning, and to develop new skills to a high level.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
In addition, students graduating from the full Masters programme will also be able to:
- Deal logically and creatively with complex and unpredictable clinical situations and make sound judgements based on incomplete data.
- Demonstrate initiative, self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems.
- Act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional level.
- Communicate clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Translate knowledge, leadership and technical skills of one sub-specialism into the workplace and personal practice in an original way.
This programme will provide you with a strong understanding of the latest innovations in cardiology, which will:
- enable progression in training in cardiology;
- help you to decide on a career pathway in cardiology;
- enhance opportunities in cardiology through new knowledge, skills and networking.
Career options might include:
- further study
- NHS or hospital positions
Excellence: Imperial and the Royal Brompton are world-class centres for science and clinical innovation in cardiology.
Unique: teaching is delivered by academic clinicians, clinicians and researchers at the leading edge of clinical cardiology, all of whom are undertaking day-to-day management and research into their respective subspecialties of cardiology.
Modular: allowing students to complete stand-alone modules, or a PG Cert, or full MSc.
Location: our location in central London attracts the best minds from around the world. The course is located at the Royal Brompton campus and hospital.
Please Note: There will be a PGT Open Evening with date tbc. Professor Peter Collins and colleagues will be attending this event to discuss the MSc in Innovations in Cardiological Science. Please 'register your interest' in the programme for further information.