Senior leadership of Hong Kong's Food & Health Bureau visit IGHI to exchange ideas, forge new research links & learn about the UK healthcare system.
The Institute of Global Health Innovation (IGHI) was pleased to welcome senior leadership from the Food & Health Bureau of Hong Kong this week, along with the Hong Kong Department of Health and the Hong Kong Hospital Authority. The delegation included Professor Sophia Chan, Under Secretary for Food and Health at the Food & Health Bureau and Professor John Leong Chi-Yan, Chairman of the Hong Kong Hospital Authority. The aim of their visit was to explore innovative examples of healthcare delivery, including new approaches to primary care, and the Institute’s growing research agenda.
Their visit consisted of a number of meetings with staff at IGHI and they heard from a variety of academics and policy specialists on topics ranging from big data analytics, patient safety, the importance of design in healthcare, disaster response, simulated environments and surgical innovation.
To mark the occasion, IGHI hosted a celebratory dinner with VIP guests including UK Under Secretary of State for Quality in the Department of Health, the Rt Hon Earl Howe and former Chief Executive of NHS England, Sir David Nicholson.
“We were delighted to welcome the Hong Kong delegation. Their visit was not only helpful to them, but also provided an opportunity to learn from the way they work and to form new and exciting ties with their healthcare system and academic institution. We are very much looking forward to working with them going forward” said Lord Ara Darzi, Director of IGHI at Imperial.
Front row (L-R):
- Sir David Nicholson – Former CEO of the NHS
- Professor Sophia Chan, Under Secretary for Food and Health, Food & Health Bureau, Hong Kong
- Professor the Lord Darzi of Denham – Director, Institute of Global Health Innovation
- Rt Hon Earl Howe – Undersecretary for State for Quality, Department of Health, United Kingdom
- Prof John Leong Chi-Yan, Chairman, Hong Kong Hospital Authority
Back Row (L-R)
- Dr Monica Wong, Head of Primary Care Office, Department of Health, HK
- Dr Kwok-Keung Ng, Senior Medical and Health Officer, Department of Health
- Mr Howard Lyons, Managing Director of Healthcare UK
- Dr Amy Chiu, Assistant Director of Health (Health Administration and Planning), Hospital Authority, HK
- Professor Sian Griffiths - Visiting Professor, Imperial College London
- Dr Libby Lee, Food and Health Bureau, HK
- Ms Ivis Chung, Department of Health, HK
- Ms Wendy Au, Principal Assistant Secretary (Health), Food & Health Bureau
- Dr Christina Maw, Senior Manager (Elderly and Community Care)
- Mr Donald Li, Chief Manager (Capital Planning), Hospital Authority, HK
Article text (excluding photos or graphics) available under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons license.
Photos and graphics subject to third party copyright used with permission or © Imperial College London.