Banner® Student Information System
A College-wide student information solution
Imperial College London is replacing its student record management system. SIMP is a multi-year phased programme that will improve information sharing for both staff and students. Banner will be used to manage the student lifecycle, and provide a foundation for all information systems involving student data.
Banner is the most widely used HE enterprise system in the world."
Designed solely for higher education, Banner supports almost 1,400 institutions in 40 countries. Ellucian is the College's selected delivery partner. Ellucian has helped more than five million students at 675 institutions navigate their way to graduation, with many years of experience with complex higher education institutions.
The SIMP Programme is taking a College-wide view to supporting academic and student administration to achieve the collation of high quality real-time information, together with the founding of a frictionless and consistent student experience. The establishment of a College student records system that underpins our curriculum structure and integrates effectively with other systems is at the heart of the vision.
One source of data truth."
A dynamic system supported by efficient administrative processes is essential for the College to be able to respond to Higher Education sector change and regulatory compliance that is moving to real-time continuous and more detailed data submissions that inform teaching and research supervision funding.
The new Banner system will reflect the College’s transition to a modular curriculum structure to provide a greater level of detail at programme, module, assessment and student activity throughout the academic year than has previously been possible. This in turn will provision an accurate overview of College teaching and research activity as well as insight and transparency on our student population.
Banner will provide a comprehensive set of essential features, easy access and workflows to:
- Empower academic and administrative staff and students through simplifying administrative processes, visibility of information and self-service capability
- Reduce costs and time through enhanced efficiencies with workflow that automates processes, reduces duplicate data source management, and cost avoidance maintaining surplus or end of life systems
- Improve accountability through supporting the ability to identify trends, report on progress toward institutional goals and respond to emerging statutory reporting compliance requirements
- Strengthen decisions, manage resources strategically and meet complex timely reporting requirements.
- Reflect College quality through use of professional systems, increase responsiveness to exploit opportunities and improve student experience survey results.
Student and curriculum data in Banner will enable the College to establish a single source of truth that will:
- Ensure the structure of the programme within the system reflects the reality of the curriculum structure
- Provide the level of detail necessary for departments to undergo Curriculum Review
- Meet legislation and CMA guidance relating to the provision of information for students
- Enable improved and timely operational and strategic reporting
- Ensure consistent and improved timetable, transcript and handbook information
- Allow more efficient timetabling and use of resources
- Enable improved management information e.g. class lists
- Improve the student experience through a consistent and visible module selection process detailing the required core modules and options available; and visible assessment expectations leading to a better understanding of expected workload
- Enable electronic programme specification and programme information to be published from within Banner to the College’s website.