My child is learning remotely as a result of COVID-19 – how can I help?

The College has transitioned to remote learning and assessments, which means a big adjustment for all of us. For a number of years the College has been investing in digital technology and remote learning expertise. But adapting to remote learning is a challenge in itself, let alone the other restrictive measures on our movement that we are currently facing in order to combat the spread of coronavirus. Your child’s Personal Tutor or Senior Tutor are always on hand to support them if they are having difficulty with their studies. Also, our dedicated page about remote learning looks at ways to manage anxieties relating to coronavirus and how your child can look after their health and wellbeing while learning remotely and social distancing.

How can my child still get support, even though they aren’t on campus?

In line with current government advice regarding COVID-19, the College will be delivering all student support services remotely from Thursday 19 March 2020 until further notice.

Our Student Support Zone has a range of online resources to ensure our student community remains safe during these difficult times. The Zone is an online hub covering everything from careers support to counselling.

Will my child still have to pay for their accommodation if they’ve moved back home?

For the latest information about COVID-19 and accommodation, please visit our accommodation pages.

Where can I get more information about Imperial and the coronavirus pandemic?

To stay up to date with the key information relating to current students and how COVID-19 may affect your child, you should first consult our advice page for current students.

Keeping in touch

How can I send a delivery to student halls?

All students living in halls have a personal locker or pigeonhole to receive their mail.

Larger deliveries are usually received by staff. The recipient will be notified of where and when to collect their parcel. For instructions on how to address your mail visit our accommodation web pages.

How can I find out about academic progress?

Your child’s academic progress is of the utmost importance to us. Our teaching, facilities and support services are all designed to offer the best possible education to our students.

Due to Data Protection laws, we are unable to release any information on the academic progress of any of our students except to the student themselves.

The best way to keep up with your child’s progress is to talk to them. If you are worried about their progress or feel they need extra support, you may wish to talk to them about the academic and personal support services we offer.

Rest assured that we collect emergency contact details for all our students, so if your child has listed you as their emergency contact, we will be in touch in the rare event of an emergency situation.

Where can I find out about graduation ceremonies?

Imperial’s graduation ceremonies are held in the historic Royal Albert Hall, right next to our South Kensington campus.

Full details of the day, and how your child can register, can be found on our graduation pages.

I live overseas, how can find out what Imperial is doing near me?

We pursue international partnerships to ensure our work achieves maximum benefit for all of society.

Visit our Global Imperial web pages for the latest news on our international collaborations.

See if we are running a recruitment event near you.

Can I park on campus?

The South Kensington car park is open to the public with charges during evenings and weekends.

Find out more about Parking for the public.

The nearest pay and display car parking is in Prince Consort Road and Queen's Gate. Visit the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea website for more information about parking in the area.

Parking at other Imperial College London campuses

Student life

What can my child expect in their first week at Imperial?

The first week of term is known as Welcome Week.

There is an exciting timetable of events to help new students settle in before lectures begin. This includes welcome talks, the Students' Union Fair, and social events. Details will be given to all students in their induction.

Where can I find information about student accommodation?

Imperial offers a range of accommodation options for undergraduate and postgraduate students. These are tailored to a variety of budgets and requirements.

Find full details and advice on seeking private accommodation in London on our accommodation pages.

Is it possible for my child to change their course?

Some degrees within the same department have the same structure for the first year or two. This means transferring to a different course within the same department is usually possible. However, the department must agree to the request.

Transferring to a course in a different department is more complicated and cannot be guaranteed. This will depend on different factors such as the availability of places and similarity of course content.

If your child wants to change their course, they should speak to their department as soon as possible.

Is there financial support available to students?

If your child is in genuine financial difficulty, they may be eligible to apply for emergency financial support through the Student Support Fund. The Fund offers a one-off payment of up to £2,000 to cover emergencies such as last minute accommodation and travel necessities, equipment and childcare. It does not have to be repaid. Some Faculties also have hardship funding that their students can apply for.

Emergency loans (which have to be repaid) are also available.

If your child has chosen to undertake a placement as part of their degree, they may be eligible to apply for some extra funding. More information can be found on our undergraduate funding page.

What if my child becomes ill on campus?

All students are advised to register as an NHS patient with a GP practice in their local area.

Imperial has several medical facilities near to student halls and all students will receive a registration form when moving into their accommodation. Find out more about the nearest medical clinics.

My child has a question about their visa – who should they speak to?

The International Student Support team provides specialist immigration advice to prospective and current Imperial College students. They have particular expertise in Tier 4 (General) student visas, Short-term Study visas and options to remain in the UK to work after study.

Following the results of the EU referendum in June, we are urgently seeking clarification from the government on the visa and fee status of non-UK European Union students. We will update the student community as we learn more, but remain determined that political changes will not hold Imperial back from delivering excellence in research and education for the benefit of a global society.

Find out more about Imperial and the EU.

My child has specific dietary requirements – will these be catered for?

Taste Imperial, the College’s Catering department, provides fresh food and drink across all of Imperial’s campuses for students, staff and visitors. To meet the needs of Imperial’s diverse community, we serve food from around the globe, offering a variety of products and ensuring that vegetarian, halal and gluten-free options are available.

Visit our Food and drink web pages for more information.

What career advice do you offer to students?

Imperial offers comprehensive career advice to students through individual consultations and an extensive events programme. This support is available to students from their very first day and remains available to Imperial alumni after graduation.\

Find out more about our Careers Service.

My child is about to graduate. What support does the College offer to its alumni?

Once students graduate from Imperial, they join a community of over 180,000 former students in 192 countries. It’s a community that includes prestigious prize winners, inventors, business leaders, scientists, engineers, doctors, journalists, researchers and entrepreneurs. They are united in their shared experience of studying in London at one of the best universities in the world.

The relationship does not end at graduation. We encourage our alumni to keep in touch with the College and with each other. Imperial alumni enjoy a range of exclusive perks including invitations to events, careers support, networking opportunities, and access to an alumni lounge and meeting space on our South Kensington Campus. Find out more on our Alumni pages.