Dr Adam Jan Sadowski is a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering. His research interests include the theoretical and computational simulation of the strength and stability of complex metal shell structures, for which he employs methods from shell theory, finite element analysis, applied mathematics and solid mechanics.
He is also a Member of and Committee Secretary to Working Groups for CEN / TC250 / SC3 dealing with EN 1993-1-6 on metal shells (WG06), -1-7 on plate assemblies (WG07), -4-1 on silos (WG15), -4-2 on tanks (WG16) and -4-3 on pipelines (WG17), as well as WG05 for CEN / TC250 / SC1 dealing with EN 1991-4 for actions on silos and tanks. He is also a Member of and Secretary to the European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) Technical Working Group 8.4 on shell buckling.
He is a member of SC3 PT5 working on the evolution of EN 1993-1-6 on metal shells and EN 1993-1-7 on plate assemblies, SC1 PT10 working on the evolution of EN 1991-4 on silo and tank loading, and SC3 PT12 working on the evolution of EN 1993-4-1 on metal silos and EN 1993-4-2 on metal tanks. He is also a member of the SC3 Ad-Hoc Group on FE working on the creation of a new EN 1993-1-14 on the design of metal structures assisted by finite elements.
- MEng in Structural and Fire Safety Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2007; 1st class Honours)
- PhD in Structural Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2010) - Thesis title "Modelling of Failures in Thin-Walled Metal Silos under Eccentric Discharge"
- MSc in Mathematics (The University of Edinburgh, 2012; with Distinction)
- MEd in University Learning and Teaching (Imperial College London, 2018; with Distinction)
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (MIMA) since 2014
- Chartered Mathematician (CMath) since 2015
- Chartered Scientist (CSci) since 2015
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2016
- Associate Editor of Advances in Structural Engineering since 2018
Orcid ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2099-1895
Scopus ID: 23493545700
ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Sadowski
Brief career history
- 2013-2018: Lecturer in Structural Engineering at Imperial College London, working amongst other things on an EPSRC-funded project on cylindrical shells under moment gradients.
- 2011-2013: Research Associate at The University of Edinburgh, working on the EU-funded "Combitube" project on the strength of massive tubular members in bending.
- 2012: Teaching Assistant at The University of Edinburgh, delivering the courses "Theory of Structures" and "Plastic Analysis of Frames and Slabs".