Dr Adam Jan Sadowski is a Lecturer in the Structures Section. His research interests include the theoretical and computational simulation of the strength and stability of complex metal shell structures, for which he employs methods from shell theory, finite element analysis, applied mathematics and solid mechanics.
He is also a Member of and Committee Secretary to Working Groups for CEN / TC250 / SC3 dealing with EN 1993-1-6 on metal shells (WG06), -1-7 on plate assemblies (WG07), -4-1 on silos (WG15), -4-2 on tanks (WG16) and -4-3 on pipelines (WG17), as well as WG05 for CEN / TC250 / SC1 dealing with EN 1991-4 for actions on silos and tanks. He is also a Member of and Secretary to the European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) Technical Working Group 8.4 on shell buckling.
- MEng in Structural and Fire Safety Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2007; 1st class Honours)
- PhD in Structural Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2010) - Thesis title "Modelling of Failures in Thin-Walled Metal Silos under Eccentric Discharge"
- MSc in Mathematics (The University of Edinburgh, 2012; with Distinction)
- PgDip in University Level Teaching (Imperial College London, 2017)
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (MIMA) since 2014
- Chartered Mathematician (CMath) since 2015
- Chartered Scientist (CSci) since 2015
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2016
Orcid ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2099-1895
Scopus ID: 23493545700
ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Sadowski
Brief career history
- 2011-13: Research Associate at The University of Edinburgh, working on the EU-funded "Combitube" project on the strength of massive tubular members in bending
- 2012: Teaching Assistant at The University of Edinburgh, delivering the courses "Theory of Structures 3" and "Plastic Analysis of Frames and Slabs 4"
Boyez A, Sadowski AJ, Izzuddin BA, 2017, A novel 'boundary layer' finite element for the efficient analysis of thin cylindrical shells, Computers & Structures, Vol:182, ISSN:0045-7949, Pages:573-587
Fajuyitan OK, Sadowski AJ, Wadee MA, 2017, Buckling of very short elastic cylinders with weld imperfections under uniform bending, Steel Construction-design and Research, Vol:10, ISSN:1867-0520, Pages:216-221
Rotter JM, Sadowski AJ, 2017, Full Plastic Resistance of Tubes Under Bending and Axial Force: Exact Treatment and Approximations, Structures, Vol:10, ISSN:2352-0124, Pages:30-38
et al., 2017, Seismic analysis of a tall metal wind turbine support tower with realistic geometric imperfections, Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, Vol:46, ISSN:0098-8847, Pages:201-219
Rotter JM, Sadowski AJ, 2017, Development of circular tube slenderness classifications under axial and bending actions, Pages:1152-1161, ISSN:2509-7075