- Composition-climate interactions
- Short-lived climate pollutants
- Emissions-radiative forcing-response relationships
- Wildfire interactions with composition & climate
- Tropospheric oxidizing capacity
- Earth observation and Earth system modelling
- PhD in Atmospheric Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK (2008)
- MSc in Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Crete, Greece (2004)
- BA in Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2002)
- NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies & Columbia University Center for Climate Systems Research; Postdoctoral Research Scientist (2009-10) & Associate Research Scientist (2011-12)
- University of Cambridge, Centre for Atmospheric Science; Research Associate (2008)
- PI in UKIERI/UGC project Local and Remote influences on Rainfall over India (LORRI) (2014-present).
- Co-I in NERC Standard Grant project Quantifying and reducing uncertainties in the processes controlling tropospheric ozone and OH (2015-present).
- Co-Pi in NCEO project Influencing international activity in assessments of climate-chemistry models (2015).
- Co-I in NASA ACMAP project Utilizing A-Train Satellite Measurements in Conjunction with Global Models to Study the Radiative Impact of Clouds on Tropospheric Composition and Chemistry (2014-present).
- Expert Adviser in DECC project Avoiding Dangerous Climate Change Research Programme, Phase Two (AVOID-2) (2014-present).
- Co-I in EU Marie Curie IRES project Regional climate-air quality interactions (REQUA)(2013-present).
- Co-I in NASA ACMAP project The fate and effects of forest fire emissions injected directly into the stratosphere (2013-present).
- Co-I in NASA ACMAP project Evaluation of emissions and processes in the chemistry-climate system (2011-2014).
- Co-I in NASA ACMAP project Using and improving an interactive climate-composition model: GISS-PUCCINI (2009-2012).
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH ROLES:
- Scientific Steering Committee member and Analysis Lead for Regional Experiments and Mitigation for the Precipitation Drivers and Response Modelling Intercomparison Project (PDRMIP) (2014-present).
- Analysis Co-Lead on cloud-composition interactions for the Chemistry-Climate Model Initiative (CCMI) (2013-present).
- Analysis Co-Lead on OH and methane lifetime in the Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate Model Intercomparison Project (ACCMIP), in support of IPCC AR5 (2011-2013).
et al., 2017, Description and evaluation of the Multiscale Online Nonhydrostatic AtmospheRe CHemistry model (NMMB-MONARCH) version 1.0: gas-phase chemistry at global scale, Geoscientific Model Development, Vol:10, ISSN:1991-959X, Pages:609-638
et al., 2017, The Fire Modeling Intercomparison Project (FireMIP), phase 1: experimental and analytical protocols with detailed model descriptions, Geoscientific Model Development, Vol:10, ISSN:1991-959X, Pages:1175-1197
et al., 2017, An agricultural biomass burning episode in eastern China: Transport, optical properties, and impacts on regional air quality, Journal of Geophysical Research-atmospheres, Vol:122, ISSN:2169-897X, Pages:2304-2324
et al., 2016, Simulating the Black Saturday 2009 smoke plume with an interactive composition-climate model: Sensitivity to emissions amount, timing, and injection height, Journal of Geophysical Research-atmospheres, Vol:121, ISSN:2169-897X, Pages:4296-4316
Voulgarakis A, Field R, Fromm M, 2017, Fire Impacts on High-Altitude Atmospheric Com-Position, 13th International Conference on Meteorology, Climatology and Atmospheric Physics (COMECAP), SPRINGER, Pages:1231-1237, ISSN:2194-5217