Ahmer Wadee is Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics in the Structures Section and leads the research group specializing in the field of Nonlinear Structural Stability. His primary research interests involve modelling buckling instabilities in metallic and composite material structures using analytical methods.
In 2014, he was listed as one of the 100 leading UK practising scientists by The Science Council (College News Link and University of Bath Link). He is also co-editor of the book 50 Visions of Mathematics published by Oxford University Press (College News Link).
Ahmer delivered his Professorial Inaugural Lecture on 23 June 2016. He is also the Director of Postgraduate Research in the Department that oversees the running of the PhD programme.
- BEng 1994 (Civil Engineering at Imperial College London, 1st class honours)
- MSc 1995 (Structural Steel Design at Imperial College London, with Distinction)
- PhD 1998 (Nonlinear Mechanics Group, Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath)
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications 2011 (Member: 2002-11)
- Chartered Mathematician 2002
- Chartered Scientist 2005
Brief career history
- Since 09/2015: Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 08/2011 - 08/2015: Reader in Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 10/2007 - 07/2011: Senior Lecturer at Imperial
- 09/1999 - 09/2007: Lecturer at Imperial
- 10/1998 - 09/1999: Research Officer (PDRA) at University of Bath, Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
Zschernack C, Wadee MA, Völlmecke C, 2016, Nonlinear buckling of fibre-reinforced unit cells of lattice materials, Composite Structures, Vol:136, ISSN:1879-1085, Pages:217-228
et al., 2015, Localized buckling in sandwich struts with inhomogeneous deformation in both face plates, Composite Structures, Vol:133, ISSN:1879-1085, Pages:630-641
Madrazo Aguirre F, Wadee MA, Ruiz-Teran AM, 2015, Non-linear stability of under-deck cable-stayed bridge decks, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Vol:77, ISSN:1878-5638, Pages:28-40
Wadee MA, Farsi M, 2014, Cellular buckling in stiffened plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:470, ISSN:1364-5021
Wadee MA, Bai L, 2014, Cellular buckling in I-section struts, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol:81, ISSN:0263-8231, Pages:89-100
Yiatros S, Wadee MA, Völlmecke C, 2013, Modelling of interactive buckling in sandwich struts with functionally graded cores, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol:139, ISSN:0733-9399, Pages:952-960
Wadee MA, Gardner L, 2012, Cellular buckling from mode interaction in I-beams under uniform bending, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:468, ISSN:1364-5021, Pages:245-268
et al., 2012, Geometric modelling of kink banding in laminated structures, Royal Society of London. Philosophical Transactions A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol:370, ISSN:1364-503X, Pages:1827-1849
Parc S, 2014, 50 visions of mathematics, Oxford, Oxford University Press, ISBN:9780198701811