Ahmer Wadee is Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics in the Structures Section and leads the research group specializing in the field of Nonlinear Structural Stability. His primary research interests involve modelling buckling instabilities in metallic and composite material structures using analytical methods. In 2014, he was listed as one of the 100 leading UK practising scientists by The Science Council.
Ahmer has won prizes for his research work from the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. He is the current chairman of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute (from October 2017). He serves on the Editorial Board of Structures, the research journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers.He was also co-editor of the book 50 Visions of Mathematics published by Oxford University Press.
Ahmer delivered his Professorial Inaugural Lecture in 2016. He is the Director of Postgraduate Research in the Department and oversees the academic progression of PhD students.
- BEng 1994 (Civil Engineering at Imperial College London, 1st class honours)
- MSc 1995 (Structural Steel Design at Imperial College London, with Distinction)
- PhD 1998 (Nonlinear Mechanics Group, Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath)
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications 2011 (Member: 2002-11)
- Chartered Mathematician 2002
- Chartered Scientist 2005
Brief career history
- Since 09/2015: Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 08/2011 - 08/2015: Reader in Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 10/2007 - 07/2011: Senior Lecturer at Imperial
- 09/1999 - 09/2007: Lecturer at Imperial
- 10/1998 - 09/1999: Research Officer (PDRA) at University of Bath, Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
et al., 2017, Nonlinear mode interaction in equal-leg angle struts susceptible to cellular buckling, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:473, ISSN:1364-5021, Pages:20170583-20170583
Yu J, Wadee MA, 2017, Mode interaction in triple-bay prestressed stayed columns, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Vol:88, ISSN:1878-5638, Pages:47-66
Wadee MA, Bai L, 2014, Cellular buckling in I-section struts, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol:81, ISSN:0263-8231, Pages:89-100
Madrazo Aguirre F, Wadee MA, Ruiz-Teran AM, 2015, Non-linear stability of under-deck cable-stayed bridge decks, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Vol:77, ISSN:1878-5638, Pages:28-40
Wadee MA, Farsi M, 2014, Cellular buckling in stiffened plates, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:470, ISSN:1364-5021