Embankments and Earthworks - CIVE97074
- To understand the principles of soil mechanics as applied to earthworks and embankments, including water-retaining embankments (flood-embankments and dams) and railway/highway embankments.
- Although the principal focus of the course is on embankments, students must also aim to understand the additional relevant material, which includes cuttings, tunnels and other foundation problems.
Computational Engineering Analysis - CIVE96003
- To expose principal computational methods in civil engineering.
- To illustrate the main application areas for each of these methods.
- To engage in computer modelling of real engineering problems.
- To assess the accuracy of computer-based solutions.