Lecturer, Biology of Organisms. (Undergraduate)
Tutor, Biology of Organisms. (Undergraduate)
Organiser, Cell & Developmental Biology. (Undergraduate)
Tutor, Cell Biology. (Undergraduate)
Lecturer, MRes Chemical Biology. (Postgraduate)
Organiser, MRes Molecular Plant & Microbial Sciences. (Postgraduate)
Lecturer, MSc Applied Bioscience & Biotechnology. (Postgraduate)
Lecturer, Plant Biotechnology & Development. (Undergraduate)
Cell and Developmental Biology - LIFE95005
The course aims to provide an integrated understanding of the regulation of development in animals and plants. Studies will focus especially on the underlying cellular and molecular biology processes. Particular attention will be given to the initiation and regulation of recognisable developmental features of animal and plant body plans during embryogenesis and in later life. Selected case studies will consider recent research breakthroughs, the role of the environment in development and how organisms interact to modify each others’ development.
Evolution and Diversity - LIFE40008
- To gain an overall understanding of the tree of life, especially in regards to animals, plants and fungi.
- To understand how the complexity of Eukaryote life has changed both in terms of timescales and evolutionary novelty.
- To gain a more detailed knowledge of the relationships and evolution of certain groups of organisms and how these groups have changed over time.
- To understand how the evolution of photosynthesis has profoundly shaped the diversity of life.
- To understand how phylogenetics is central to our analysis of the relationships between organisms.
Challenges in Cell Biology - LIFE95006
CCB will give students an understanding of current cell biology research challenges and the approaches being developed to tackle them. It will discuss areas of cell biology that are new to second year Biochemists and so complement their previous cell biology teaching as well as introduce themes that will be developed in several final year courses.
Principles of Development - LIFE96029
Plant Biotechnology and Development - LIFE96027
The aim of this course is to provide an account of how plant molecular biology is being used to unravel how plants grow, develop and also how they they can be utilised in selected biotechnological applications.