· Results from research synthesizing evidence quantifying association between individual prescribing decisions in primary care and the problem of antibiotic resistance publications have informed UK NICE guideline: QS121 - Antibiotic stewardship. In addition, this contributed to the development of the UK
· Department of Health 'Start Smart Then Focus' antibiotic stewardship toolkit and a national antibiotic prescribing support package (shttp://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/target-antibioticstoolkit/training-resources.aspx) Graphics from my research outputs have been distributed to over 10,000 clinicians and 50,000 members of the public across UK and the EU as part of the EU 'Antibiotics awareness' week.
· A follow-up paper quantifying prevalence of resistance infection in children provided evidence suggesting that some first line antibiotic treatments may be ineffective. This paper and its accompanying editorial received global media attention and stimulated a debate on E. coli infections within the House of Commons, prompting a review meeting on AMR.
· Publication of results from my research investigating the treatment of fever in children resulted in an update to UK NICE guideline 'CG160 - Fever in the under 5's'
· Methodological research on conducting sample size calculations for pilot cluster randomised trials has been incorporated into the international CONSORT guidelines for randomised controlled trial design, conduct and analysis.
Visualising Bid Data to tackle Antimicrobial Resistance, World Economic Forum New Champions meeting, Dalian, China, 2018
Using electronic Healthcare record data to inform and evaluate interventions targeting healthcare associated infection across the healthcare economy, Harvard Medical School, Joseph B. Martin Conference Center, 77 Ave. Louis Pasteur, Boston, 2018
AMR in the community and association with AB useLancet series, Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2016
Antimicrobial resistance in the community: risks and interventions, The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia, 2016
Antibiotic prescribing as a risk factor for AMR in the community, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, 2016
Research Student Supervision
Aliabadi,S, Evaluating interventions to target antimicrobial resistant infection
Bou-Anton,S, Measuring the potential unintended consequences of a national intervention aimed at reducing antibiotic prescribing in primary care
Bryce,A, Antimicrobial resistant urinary and faecal Escherichia coli in children
Lishman,H, Investigating the role of antibiotic exposure and demographic /socioeconomic factors on the development of bloodstream infections in primary care