My research in numerical analysis and scientific computing focusses on the design, analysis and implementation of numerical methods for weather forecasting, ocean modelling and climate simulation. Recently, I have been developing compatible finite element methods for these applications. I am motivated by the geometric variational structure of fluid equations, which are also relevant for algorithms for exploring the geometric structure of shapes and images. I also develop numerical algorithms for probabilistic forecasting and data assimilation.
I am the Undergraduate Admissions Tutor for the Department of Mathematics, the co-Director of Studies for the Mathematics of Planet Earth Centre for Doctoral Training, and a co-Investigator for the Platform for Research in Simulation Methods. I am also an Associate Editor for the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. I supervise 2 PhD students and 2 postdoctoral research associates.
If you are a student looking to do a PhD with me, please take a look at the following opportunities:
- Projects in numerical methods for atmosphere/ocean/climate and in data assimilation through the Mathematics of Planet Earth Centre for Doctoral Training
- I have a studentship available via the Grantham Institute in dynamics/physics coupling in weather/climate models, in collaboration with the UK Met Office.
- I have a Roth Studentship available for an excellent student, in the area of numerical methods for image registration.
Unfortunately these studentships are only available for students with UK/EU fee status. Please contact me by email for more information.
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London, November 2013 to date
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College London 2010-2013
- Lecturer in the Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College London 2006-2010
- Postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London 2005-2006
- Postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London 2004-2005
- PhD Mathematics, Imperial College London 2000-2004
- Part III, Mathematics, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University 1999-2000
- BA Mathematics, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University 1996-1999
My Google Scholar profile is here. Preprints of many of my papers can be found here. I also keep a blog here.
Cotter CJ, Thuburn J, 2014, A finite element exterior calculus framework for the rotating shallow-water equations, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol:257, ISSN:0021-9991, Pages:1506-1526
Visram AR, Cotter CJ, Cullen MJP, 2014, A framework for evaluating model error using asymptotic convergence in the Eady model, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, ISSN:0035-9009, Pages:n/a-n/a
McRae ATT, Cotter CJ, 2014, Energy- and enstrophy-conserving schemes for the shallow-water equations, based on mimetic finite elements, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2013, A variational formulation of vertical slice models, Proc. R. Soc. A, Vol:469
Cotter C, 2013, Data assimilation on the exponentially accurate slow manifold, Royal Society of London. Philosophical Transactions A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol:371, ISSN:1364-503X
Cotter CJ, Cotter SL, Vialard F-X, 2013, Bayesian data assimilation in shape registration, Inverse Problems, Vol:29, ISSN:0266-5611
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2013, On Noether's Theorem for the Euler-Poincar, Equation on the Diffeomorphism Group with Advected Quantities, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, Vol:13, ISSN:1615-3375, Pages:457-477
Thuburn J, Cotter CJ, 2012, A FRAMEWORK FOR MIMETIC DISCRETIZATION OF THE ROTATING SHALLOW-WATER EQUATIONS ON ARBITRARY POLYGONAL GRIDS, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, Vol:34, ISSN:1064-8275, Pages:B203-B225
Cotter CJ, Clark A, Peiro J, 2012, A Reparameterisation Based Approach to Geodesic Constrained Solvers for Curve Matching, International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol:99, ISSN:0920-5691, Pages:103-121
Cotter CJ, Shipton J, 2012, Mixed finite elements for numerical weather prediction, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol:231, ISSN:0021-9991, Pages:7076-7091
Cotter CJ, Ham DA, 2011, Numerical wave propagation for the triangular P1(DG)-P2 finite element pair, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol:230, ISSN:0021-9991, Pages:2806-2820
Cotter C, Bokhove O, 2010, Variational water-wave model with accurate dispersion and vertical vorticity, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol:67, ISSN:0022-0833, Pages:33-54
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2010, GEODESIC BOUNDARY VALUE PROBLEMS WITH SYMMETRY, Journal of Geometric Mechanics, Vol:2, ISSN:1941-4889, Pages:51-68