My research in numerical analysis and scientific computing focusses on the design, analysis and implementation of numerical methods for weather forecasting, ocean modelling and climate simulation. Recently, I have been developing compatible finite element methods for these applications. I am motivated by the geometric variational structure of fluid equations, which are also relevant for algorithms for exploring the geometric structure of shapes and images. I also develop numerical algorithms for probabilistic forecasting and data assimilation.
I am co-Director for the Mathematics of Planet Earth Centre for Doctoral Training, and a co-Investigator for the Platform for Research in Simulation Methods. I am also an Associate Editor for the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, and a member of the EPSRC peer review college. I supervise 4 PhD students and 2 postdoctoral research associates.
- Reader in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing, Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London, July 2016 - date
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London, November 2013 to July 2016
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College London 2010-2013
- Lecturer in the Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College London 2006-2010
- Postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London 2005-2006
- Postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London 2004-2005
- PhD Mathematics, Imperial College London 2000-2004
- Part III, Mathematics, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University 1999-2000
- BA Mathematics, Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge University 1996-1999
My Google Scholar profile is here. Preprints of many of my papers can be found here.
Cotter CJ, Thuburn J, 2014, A finite element exterior calculus framework for the rotating shallow-water equations, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol:257, Pages:1506-1526
McRae ATT, Cotter CJ, 2014, Energy- and enstrophy-conserving schemes for the shallow-water equations, based on mimetic finite elements, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
Visram AR, Cotter CJ, Cullen MJP, 2014, A framework for evaluating model error using asymptotic convergence in the Eady model, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, ISSN:0035-9009, Pages:n/a-n/a
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2013, A variational formulation of vertical slice models, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:469, ISSN:1364-5021
Cotter CJ, 2013, Data assimilation on the exponentially accurate slow manifold, Journal: Philosophical Transactions A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol:371
Cotter CJ, Cotter SL, Vialard FX, 2013, Bayesian data assimilation in shape registration, Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Vol:29
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2012, On Noether's Theorem for the Euler-Poincaré equation on the diffeomorphism group with advected quantities, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, ISSN:1615-3375
Clark A, Peiró J, Cotter CJ, 2012, A reparameterisation based approach to geodesic constrained solvers for curve matching, International Journal of Computer Vision
Thuburn J, Cotter CJ, 2012, A framework for mimetic discretization of the rotating shallow-water equations on arbitrary polygonal grids, Siam Journal on Scientific Computing
Cotter CJ, Shipton J, 2012, Mixed finite elements for numerical weather prediction, J. Comp. Phys.
Cotter CJ, Ham DA, 2011, Numerical wave propagation for the triangular P1DG-P2 finite element pair, Journal of Computational Physics
Cotter C, Bokhove O, 2010, Variational water-wave model with accurate dispersion and vertical vorticity, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol:67, ISSN:0022-0833, Pages:33-54
Cotter CJ, Holm DD, 2010, Geodesic boundary value problems with symmetry, J. Geom. Mech., Vol:2, Pages:51-68