2001 Medical degree (Cph University, Denmark)
2004 Independent License (Cph,DK)
2009 PhD (Cph University, Denmark)
2016 MRCPsych (London, UK)
2019 CCT General Adult Psychiatry (London, UK)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer, Div of Psychiatry, Imperial College and CNWL NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
- Clinical Director, Centre for Psychedelic Research, Imperial College.
- Associate Senior Clinical Scientist, Neurobiology Research Unit (NRU), RH, Cph, DK
See separate sections
As per April 2020; H-index: 34, i10-index: 57.
News pieces from Psychedelic Research Centre
1998: Awarded a one year European Erasmus Scholarship through Cph University to Paris, University IV, Pierre et Marie Curie, and Pitié-Salpétrière Hospital, Paris, France.
2002: Awarded £40,000 from private and public Danish science foundations, one year post-graduate scholar-ship in non-human primate PET imaging, Columbia University, NY, USA.
2004: Research Scholarship from Cph University (3 years’ PhD), Rigshospitalet, Cph, DK.
2011: Investigator (with Lingford-Hughes & Nutt (PI)): “Neurotransmitters in Opiate & Alcohol Addiction 3”, a MRC 5 year Program Grant (£1,978,366 awarded), Imperial College, UK.
2015: Principal Grant Applicant: Lundbeck Foundation Travel/Symposium Grant (£3,000); hosting/chairing symposium, Nordic Congress of Psychiatry 2015, Cph, DK.
2016: Principal Investigator, “Sensitivity of the serotonin 2A agonist PET radiotracer, 11C-CIMBI-36, to serotonin release”, IMPETUS pilot PET-MRI imaging Grant (£108,000 value PET), Imanova, London, UK.
2018: Principal Investigator; “Validation of novel paradigms for multi-modality brain imaging in addiction research”, Starter Grants for Clinical Lecturers (£30,000), The Academy of Medical Sciences, UK.
2019: Principal Investigator; “Psychedelic microdosing” NIHR Imperial BRC Brain Sciences Theme Grant (£50,661), NIHR Imperial BRC Brain Sciences Theme Funding Call in Psychiatry, UK.
- 2009: Oral Presentation Prize, Pontoppidan Competition,Danish Psychiatric Society, Nyborg, DK.
- 2010: Prize best clinical poster, British Association for Psychopharmacology, Harrogate, UK.
- 2011: Awarded ECNP membership & Award Session presentation by ECNP, Nice & Paris, France.
- 2017: Denis Hill prize, Commendation. Maudsley Hospital, SLAM, London, UK.
2017 – date: Field Editor for Substance Abuse, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.
Teaching/ Supervision/Public Engagement
- Substantial experience from regular teaching within neuroscience and psychiatry at undergraduate to postgraduate level; incl. at BSc and MSc neuroscience courses at Imperial College (UK); psychiatry trainee courses in CNWL NHS Foundation Trust and other London trusts (UK); Foreningen af Yngre Psykiatere (DK); yearly summer school every August in psychiatry aimed to recruit junior doctors to the speciality (Cph, DK); yearly Addiction Biology Course for Danish GPs (London, UK); Summer Course on Mood, Aggression & Attraction (for Maastrich University, in Florence, Italy, July 2019); teaching and running workshop at European EURON course/workshop:” Drugs and the Brain: from Laboratory to Clinic” (Crete, Greece); Global Health Short Course, St Marys Hospital (London, UK, June 2019).
- Supervison of BSc, MSc and PhD students
- Frequent participation in public education about psychiatry and brain science through talks (incl. TEDx talk 2016, Folkemøde Bornholm 2019, Word Economic Forum in Davos 2020), festivals (incl. Dalston Futurology event, Bloom festival, Heartland Festival, and Pint of Science), multiple media appearances (DK&UK TV, radio, magazines, podcasts and newspapers) on drugs and addiction, as well as organization and chairing of workshops and symposia.
- Authored the addiction section in Danish Handbook for Doctors and the neurobiology section of a comprehensive cannabis report for the Danish Board of Science.
- Scientific advisor on debate book on drugs policies by Danish MP.
Recent Selected Talks
2018: Talk; PS18 National Congress for psychologist students: “Psychedelic Science”, Gothenburg, Sweden.
2018: Talk & Panel; XXII Sopsi National Congress: “Psilocybin for Depression”, Rome, Italy.
2018: Talk; “Rubin Talks” at Copenhagen University, Faculty of Psychology, Cph, DK.
2018: Talk; Birmingham University (evening event for mainly medical students): “Neurobiology of Psychedelics, and Their Potential in Mental Health”, Birmingham, UK.
2018: Talks: Annual NeuroPharm Meeting: 1) “Sensitivity of [11C]Cimbi-36 PET to pharmacological 5-HT challenge”, 2) “New 5-HT2A-agonist model for treatment of depression”, Helsingoer, DK.
2019: Talk; WinterBrain Conference: “Psychedelic studies at Imperial”, Colorado, US.
2019: Talk; CONFER symposium: “Psychedelic work at Imperial, intro to the science”, London, UK
2019: Talk (&Poster); British Association of Psychopharmacology (BAP)’s annual summer meeting: “Cerebral 5-HT release reduced among patients suffering severe depression: “Pilot data from PET study with [11C]CIMBI-36 and d-amphetamine challenge”, Manchester, UK.
2019: Talk; Albatros Addictologie Annual Meeting: “Psychedelic science”, Paris, France
2019: Talk; Breaking Convention: “What we (don’t) know about psychedelic microdosing“, London, UK
2019: Talk & Panel; LAMPSAI pre-event for Word Economic Forum event in Davos Switzerland: “Where is psychedelic science heading?”, NYC, USA.
2019: Talk; Brain Day, Lundbeck Foundation event, Panum Institute, Copenhagen, DK
2019: Talk; Symposium at Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty of General Adult Psychiatry meeting: “The pharmacological manipulation of serotonergic brain function”, Manchester, UK.
2019: Panel; Drug Science event on “Science of Microdosing” for audience and podcast, Camden, UK.
2019: Talk & Panel; International Society for Affective Disorders annual meeting, invited presentation about psilocybin for depression, Tower Bridge, London, UK.
2019: Talk (key note); Aspects of Neuroscience Conference, “Psychedelics and their potential clinical applications”, Warsaw, Poland.
2020: Talk & 4 x Panels; World Economic Forum, “Clinical Applications of Psychedelics”, Davos, Switzerland.
2020: Talk/Q&A (via Zoom); Swedish Network for Psychedelic Science.
- 1998 – 1999: Medical Residency (as ERASMUS), Dpts of Neurology, Anesthesiology, and Internal Medicine, Hôpital Pitié-Salpétrière, Paris, France.
- 1999: Medical Residency, Medical Emergency Service, L’Hôpital Sct. Roch, Nice, France.
- 2001: Internship, Dpt of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Cph, DK
- 2001 – 2002: Internships, Dpts Int. Medicine & Orthopaedic Surgery, Amager Hosp, Cph, DK
- 2002 – 2003: Research Fellow under Profs Marc Laruelle & Anissa Abi-Dargham, Division of Functional Brain Mapping, Columbia University, US
- 2003 – 2004: Internship General Practice, Gammel Moent, Cph, DK.
- 2004 – 2008: Academic: Research Fellow/PhD student under Prof Gitte Moos Knudsen, Neurobiology Research Unit and Centre for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging (CIMBI), University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Cph, DK. PET studies of serotonergic neurotransmission.
- 2007 – 2008: Project Manager coordinating the construction of a brain imaging research database, Centre for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging (CIMBI), Cph, DK
- 2004 - 2009: Clinical (alongside and after PhD): Internships, Dpts of Psychiatry at University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Nykoebing Sjaelland Hospital, Roskilde Amtssygehus, all in DK. Dpt of Psychiatry at Dronning Ingrids Hospital, Nuuk, Greenland. (A total of approx 4500 hrs of work experience in clinical psychiatry during this period).
- 2009: Post Doc Research Position, Neurobiology Research Unit (NRU) and CIMBI, University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Cph, DK.
- 2009 – 2013:Post Doc Clinical Research Fellow, Neuropsychopharmacology Unit, IC London.
- 2013 – 2016: Clinical posts (75%): Academic Clinical Fellow (ACF) ST1-3 core trainee in psychiatry in CNWL & WLMH NHS Trusts, London, UK; CAPS & CDC Addiction Services (6m), Park Royal Centre for Mental Health and Brent CAMHS (6m), Woodland Centre (Old Age) at Hillingdon Hospital (6m), triage in-patient wards & out-patient clinics (12m), and crisis & resolution home treatment (6m) at Charing Cross Hospital, Hammersmith & Fulham Adult Mental Health and affiliated CMHTs.
- 2013 – 2016: Academic post (25%): ACF (ST3) in Psychiatry Core Training Scheme at Imperial College London, Neuropsychopharmacology Unit. Mentored by Profs Nutt and Lingford-Hughes.
- 2016 – 2017: SpR (ST4&5) in SLAM NHS Foundation Trust, 6 months in-patient and 9 months out-patient, acute ward (Maudsley) and out-patient teams in Camberwell and Croydon.