My research focussed on High Energy Density plasma spectroscopy
- Theoretical and computational atomic physics and kinetics and the design of atomic physics codes
- Modelling short pulse laser plasma experiments - PIC/hydrodynamics, ionisation and radiation transport, GPU computing
- Electron-positron production in High Energy Density Physics experiments
- Novel methods of diagnosing/pumping HEDP experiments
- Astrophysical plasmas
- Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) plasmas
which I performed predominantly in and with the HEDP group. A list of publications from during my time at Imperial (and more recently) can be found below.
Plasma Seminar Series
I used to organise the external seminars for the plasma group, for a list of past and future seminars see here.
During my time at Imperial I taught 3rd year synoptic paper tutorials for 3 years, obtaining a FoNS prize for Excellence in Teaching. I also talked in schools about fusion.
This is a link to a ~12 minute segment on the US public radio show 'Science Friday' where I discuss the photon-photon collider paper (Pike OJ, Mackenroth F, Hill EG, 2014 below)
et al., 2018, Ultrafast imaging of laser driven shock waves using Betatron x-rays from a laser Wakefield accelerator, Scientific Reports, Vol:8, ISSN:2045-2322
et al., 2018, Production of photoionized plasmas in the laboratory using X-ray line radiation, Physical Review E, Vol:97, ISSN:1539-3755
Hill EG, Perez-Callejo G, Rose SJ, 2018, ALICE: A non-LTE plasma atomic physics, kinetics and lineshape code, High Energy Density Physics, Vol:26, ISSN:1574-1818, Pages:56-67
et al., 2017, Modelling K shell spectra from short pulse heated buried microdot targets, High Energy Density Physics, Vol:23, ISSN:1574-1818, Pages:178-183
et al., 2017, Measurements of plasma spectra from hot dense elements and mixtures at conditions relevant to the solar radiative zone, Aip Conference Proceedings, Vol:1811, ISSN:1551-7616