Environmental Analysis - CIVE97038
- This hands-on laboratory-based module involves undertaking weekly experiments which will introduce the participants to water quality indicator, environmental sample analysis techniques and analytical data quality that relate to the overall scope of the Environmental Engineering course.
- Over the term-long course the student will gain an in-depth understanding of how to perform essential wet chemical processes and instrumental analysis techniques relevant to water quality, soil and waste assessment and treatment. The instrumental and wet chemical analysis methods introduced and utilised will provide a deeper understanding of the challenges and problems commonly encountered during the assessment of environmental samples.
- Ultimately, familiarity with chemical techniques will enable a better communication between environmental engineers and chemical laboratories.
- Completion of this course is essential for students without prior laboratory experience who wish to undertake a laboratory-based research project.
Solid Waste Management - CIVE97048
To provide detailed knowledge and skills in the management, treatment, disposal and recycling options for solid wastes and the role resource efficiency plays in conserving resources and contributing to a low carbon economy, while on key engineering and technical aspects involved.
Chemistry for Environmental Engineers - CIVE97030
- To provide an introductory course in chemistry for environmental engineers, which assumes little prior knowledge of the subject, and, in particular, to develop a basic knowledge of the underlying principles of chemistry that influence environmental processes such as water and wastewater treatment, air pollution control and waste management.