My background is in theoretical physics and developmental biology. If I had to pick a generic label for my main research interest, that would be quantitative developmental biology.
I am broadly interested in physical and genetic mechanisms generating “growth and form” in multicellular systems, especially through the establishment and maintenance of spatio-temporal patterns within a field of interacting cells.
I believe that plants offer many experimental advantages that make them attractive model systems to address fundamental questions on multi-cellular organization.
Arabidopsis thaliana is the model system of choice in my lab, and the preferred approach is a combination of genetics, quantitative imaging and mathematical modeling.
In essence, I view organisms' development as a process of self-organization and morphogenesis as one of its emergent properties.
- Lecturer (2012 – present), Imperial College London, London, U.K.
- Post-doctoral Research Assistant (2005 - 2011), K. Birnbaum lab, New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- Visiting Fellow (2005 - 2011), S. Leibler lab, The Rockefeller University, New York, U.S.A.
- Post-doctoral Fellow (2003 - 2005), S. Leibler lab, The Rockefeller University, New York, U.S.A.
- Research Assistant, volunteer (1996 - 1997), M. D'Incalci lab, Istituto Mario Negri, Milan, Italy.
- Ph.D., Biology (2003). Developmental Genetics. P. Benfey lab, New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- M.Res., Biology (1999), with distinction. P. Benfey lab, New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- B.Sc. / M.Phys., Physics (1995, Laurea - vecchio ordinamento), 110/110 with honour. Theoretical physics. L. Girardello, Università degli Studi, Milan, Italy.
Kral N, Ougolnikova AH, Sena G, 2016, Externally imposed electric field enhances plant root tip regeneration, Regeneration, Vol:3, ISSN:2052-4412, Pages:156-167
et al., 2001, Intercellular movement of the putative transcription factor SHR in root patterning, Nature, Vol:413, ISSN:0028-0836, Pages:307-311
et al., 2009, Organ regeneration does not require a functional stem cell niche in plants, Nature, Vol:457, ISSN:0028-0836, Pages:1150-U110
et al., 2011, Quantitation of Cellular Dynamics in Growing Arabidopsis Roots with Light Sheet Microscopy, PLOS One, Vol:6, ISSN:1932-6203
Sena G, Garcia L, 2016, SPECIMEN MOUNTING DEVICE AND METHOD FOR LIVE MICROSCOPY, UK