My background is in theoretical physics and developmental biology. If I had to pick a generic label for my main research interest, that would be quantitative developmental biology.
I am broadly interested in physical and genetic mechanisms generating “growth and form” in multicellular systems, especially through the establishment and maintenance of spatio-temporal patterns within a field of interacting cells.
I believe that plants offer many experimental advantages that make them attractive model systems to address fundamental questions on multi-cellular organization.
Arabidopsis thaliana is the model system of choice in my lab, and the preferred approach is a combination of genetics, quantitative imaging and mathematical modeling.
In essence, I view organisms' development as a process of self-organization and morphogenesis as one of its emergent properties.
- Lecturer (2012 – present), Imperial College London, London, U.K.
- Post-doctoral Research Assistant (2005 - 2011), K. Birnbaum lab, New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- Visiting Fellow (2005 - 2011), S. Leibler lab, The Rockefeller University, New York, U.S.A.
- Post-doctoral Fellow (2003 - 2005), S. Leibler lab, The Rockefeller University, New York, U.S.A.
- Research Assistant, volunteer (1996 - 1997), M. D'Incalci lab, Istituto Mario Negri, Milan, Italy.
- Ph.D., Biology (2003). Developmental Genetics. Prof. P. Benfey lab, New York University, New York, U.S.A.
- B.Sc. / M.Phys., Physics (1995, Laurea), 110/110 with honour. Theoretical physics, Prof. L. Girardello, University of Milan, Milan, Italy.
Kral N, Ougolnikova AH, Sena G, 2016, Externally imposed electric field enhances plant root tip regeneration, Regeneration, Vol:3, ISSN:2052-4412, Pages:156-167
et al., 2001, Intercellular movement of the putative transcription factor SHR in root patterning, Nature, Vol:413, ISSN:0028-0836, Pages:307-311
et al., 2009, Organ regeneration does not require a functional stem cell niche in plants, Nature, Vol:457, ISSN:0028-0836, Pages:1150-U110
et al., 2011, Quantitation of Cellular Dynamics in Growing Arabidopsis Roots with Light Sheet Microscopy, PLOS One, Vol:6, ISSN:1932-6203
Sena G, Garcia L, 2016, SPECIMEN MOUNTING DEVICE AND METHOD FOR LIVE MICROSCOPY, UK