Traffic Engineering - CIVE97016
Students taking this module will aim to understand the following:
- Traffic flow variables, their measurement and queuing theory.
- Presentations on survey methods and data analysis techniques required by traffic engineers.
- The theory and models behind traffic simulation, including an introduction to the VISSIM microscopic traffic simulator.
- Principles of off-line and on-line traffic signal control, including an introduction to the SCOOT traffic signal control system and its implementation in London.
- The theory behind motorway monitoring and control.
- The management of different road user groups, including pedestrians of different abilities, buses, trams and cycles. Additionally a critical examination of the arguments behind traffic segregation and integration.
- Traffic engineering schemes.
- Quantitative methods: teaching and practice.