Water Supply and Distribution Systems - CIVE97052
- To provide an understanding of the operation, modelling and control of water supply systems to ensure their resilient operation in a changing world.
- Water distribution systems are large scale infrastructure which is complex, difficult to characterise and control, and subjected to infrastructure aging, deterioration, water quality degradation and capacity shortages. Nearly 60% of the world population will soon be urban dwellers. This exploding urban population growth creates unprecedented challenges, among which the provision of clean water and sanitation have been the most pressing and painfully felt when lacking.
Water and Wastewater Engineering - CIVE97013
- Provide further insights into key principles for the design, modelling and control of water supply and wastewater collection networks (underground infrastructure), and water treatment processes (both clean and wastewater; overground infrastructure), which were introduced in CI2-260 and CI3-360.
- Introduce current and emerging trends in the design and operation of water supply and wastewater networks and discuss their relevance as critical services and civil infrastructure for Smart Cities.
- Present water and wastewater treatment aspects.
- Supplement the fundamental principles with problem-solving exercises to be able to apply the theory to practical water and wastewater industry scenarios.
- This module will build upon and combine your knowledge from Fluid Mechanics (e.g. pipe hydraulics) and Mathematics (e.g. numerical methods) modules you have gained so far.
Environmental Engineering - CIVE96012
This module aims to provide knowledge and skills in the design of drinking water supply and treatment works, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and waste and resource management. Understanding of the basic principles will be supplemented, where appropriate, by practical problem-solving exercises in the context of civil engineering.