My principal research interests are focussed on string theory, quantum field theory and black holes. Most recently I have been investigating whether string theory techniques can be used to study exotic states of matter that arise in condensed matter physics. I was Head of the Theoretical Physics Group at Imperial from 2011-2016.
I was the theoretical physics consultant for the film The Theory of Everything
I have an Erdos-Bacon number of six (having written a paper with Shing-Tung Yau and appeared in the film Windrider with Nicole Kidman).
My career in a nutshell:
- 1986 BSc University of Western Australia
- 1991 PhD University of Cambridge
- 1991-1994 University of Chicago (Postdoc)
- 1994-1996 CALTECH (Postdoc)
- 1996-2003 Queen Mary, University of London (Professor)
- 2003-2004 Perimeter Institute (Visiting Professor)
- 2003- Imperial College (Professor)
Gauntlett JP, Gutowski JB, 2004, All supersymmetric solutions of minimal gauged supergravity in five dimensions, Phys.rev.d, Vol:68
Donos A, Gauntlett JP, Ziogas V, Holographic diffusion
Gauntlett JP, Branes, Calibrations and Supergravity
Gauntlett JP, O Colgain E, Varela O, Consistent Kaluza-Klein reductions and supersymmetric AdS solutions, International workshop on symmetries and quantum symmetries (SQS 07)