I moved to Brooklyn College of The City University of New York (CUNY) in 2014. My current work aims to improve fundamental understanding of phase transitions between different magnetic states. There are several potential applications of this research, for example in power generation from waste heat and in a new, high efficiency, gas-free cooling device: the magnetic refrigerator. For more information, click the "Research" link or go to the websites of the FP7 projects that I coordinated on behalf of Imperial College: DRREAM (2013 - 2015) or SSEEC (2008 - 2011).
I was a faculty member of the Experimental Solid State Physics (EXSS) section at Imperial from 2009 - 2015. Before joining Imperial College, I was in the Device Materials Group of the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy at the University of Cambridge, UK. I was also a Director of Studies in Physics at Churchill College, Cambridge for 5 years.
- December 2015: Article by Takeuchi (UMD, College Park) and Sandeman on solid-state (ferroic) cooling in Physics Today. Cover art by Kai Grube (KIT)
- Feb/Mar 2015: Results of recent Appl. Phys. Lett. on induction heating profiled by Phys.Org and ScienceDaily.com
- October 2014: Extraordinary induction heating effect near the first order Curie transition published in Appl. Phys. Lett.
- May 2014: The dynamics of spontaneous hydrogen segregation in LaFe13-xSixHy published in J. Appl. Phys.
- January 2014: New PDRA Jan Zemen joins the group.
- July 2013: Combined experimental/theoretical study of doped Fe2P published in Phys. Rev. B
- June 2013: Post-doc position (experiment) available [now closed]
- Apr 2013: Post-doc position (theory) available [now closed]
- Feb 2013: 2 new papers published in Phys. Rev. B:
(1) an experimental study on competing entropy changes and giant magnetoelasticity in CoMnSi metamagnets
(2) a collaboration with Professor Julie Staunton (Warwick), using a disordered local moment model to predict the finite temperature phase diagram of such materials
- January 2013: Coordination of new FP7 grant "DRREAM" begins
- Oct 2012: New PhD student Oliver Baumfeld joins the group
- Sept 2012: Viewpoint on new magnetocaloric material systems in Scripta Materialia
- April 2012: Feature on FP7 grant "SSEEC" in International Innovation Magazine
Invited Lectures and Presentations
2015: TMS 2015 (USA), AMEC 2015 Workshop (USA), SF2M (France), DDMC 2015 (The Netherlands)
2014: E-MRS/MRS Bilateral Conference on Energy at the E-MRS 2014 Spring Meeting (France), CIMTEC Forum on New Materials (Italy), EMN Fall 2014 (USA)
2013: Argonne National Laboratory (USA), Energy and Materials Criticality Workshop (Greece)
2012: TU-Dresden (Germany), UBC (Vancouver, Canada), U. Victoria (Canada), Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, Canada), ICYRAM 2012 (Singapore), New York University (USA), U. Maryland, College Park (USA), The City College of New York (USA), Columbia University (USA), Queen Mary University of London (UK)
2011: London Centre for Nanotechnology (UK), TU Delft (The Netherlands)
2010: University of Birmingham (UK), U. Bristol (UK), JEMS 2010 (Krakow, Poland), Risø-DTU (Denmark)
2009: U. Sydney (Australia), Bragg Institute, Lucas Heights (Australia), Max Planck Institute, Halle (Germany)
2008: University of Glasgow (UK), London Materials Society (UK), SIRAC network, University of Oxford (UK)
2007: INRIM Torino (Italy), MMMR Vienna Workshop (Austria), University of Leeds (UK)
2006: University of Birmingham (UK), University of Uppsala, (Sweden), ISIS (UK)
Other Significant Activities
Co-editor of forthcoming book on magnetic cooling and magnetocaloric effects (2017)
Member of Programme Committee, MMM 2014
Member of scientific advisory committee and lecturer, European School on Magnetism (2011 - )
Co-organiser of symposia at:
- MMM 2014 (Symposium on Magnetic Materials for Energy)
- CMMP 2011 (Symposium on Functional Phase Transition Physics, Manchester, UK)
- Euromat 2011 (Symposium on Magnetocalorics and Magnetic Cooling, Montpellier, France)
- MRS 2010 (Symposium on Magnetocalorics and Magnetic Cooling, Boston, USA)
- Euromat 2009 (Symposium on Magnetocalorics and Magnetic Cooling, Glasgow, U.K.)
- MMMR 2006 (Workshop on Metamagnetic Materials for Magnetic Refrigeration, Cambridge, U.K.)
2012: Completed a Postgraduate Certificate in University Learning and Teaching (PG ULT) at Imperial College.
Zemen J, Gercsi Z, Sandeman KG, 2017, Piezomagnetism as a counterpart of the magnetovolume effect in magnetically frustrated Mn-based antiperovskite nitrides, Physical Review B, Vol:96, ISSN:2469-9950
et al., 2017, Frustrated magnetism and caloric effects in Mn-based antiperovskite nitrides: Ab initio theory, Physical Review B, Vol:95, ISSN:2469-9950
Sandeman KG, 2016, Research Update: The mechanocaloric potential of spin crossover compounds, Apl Materials, Vol:4, ISSN:2166-532X
et al., 2016, Room temperature dielectric bistability in solution-processed spin crossover polymer thin films, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, Vol:4, ISSN:2050-7526, Pages:6240-6248
Takeuchi I, Sandeman K, 2015, Solid-state cooling with caloric materials, Physics Today, Vol:68, ISSN:0031-9228, Pages:48-54