Laura Barter is a Senior Lecturer in the Chemistry Department with a particular focus on Plant Chemical Biology.
The underlying theme of research in the Barter group is to determine quantitative structure-function relationships in biological systems employing optical spectroscopic, biochemical & proteomic techniques allied with modelling & calculation. She is developing Chemical Biology tools to e.g. (i) quantitatively understand rate-limiting steps & regulatory controls in photosynthesis, to ultimately enhance photosynthetic efficiency & crop yield; (ii) impact upon the agrochemical pipeline, by probing translocation across plant membranes. Further research avenues include the development of artificial cells using a bottom-up approach, to create self-sustaining microscale machinery.
Since 2005 she has raised >£19M to support her research programme. She collaborates extensively with industry e.g Syngenta, BAYER, Sainsbury’s on research programmes (PI and director of NexGenAgriChem) and community-building (Co-Director: AGRI-net) and knowledge transfer (e.g.Sainsbury’s Farming Scholarship) activities.
Her current roles include:
- Director of AGRI-net, (www.agri-net.net/) an agri-science chemical biology network, with >900 members from academia, industry & policy. It facilitates high impact multidisciplinary research targeted towards the agri-sciences. Through AGRI-net, Barter has chaired/hosted >25 conferences/workshops/creativity events to >1000 attendees since 2010.
- Director of the Agri-Futures Lab, (www.imperial.ac.uk/agri-futures-lab/) a multidisciplinary ICL Network, combining research/training & community building activities. It facilitates transition from concept to prototype, providing access to proof of concept and scale-up facilities.
- PI & Director of a £3.2M EU ITN, NexGenAgriChem (www.nexgenagrichem.co.uk/), bringing together scientists from ICL & Syngenta to develop technologies that could impact upon the agrochemical pipeline.
- Executive Board member of the Institute of Chemical Biology (www.imperial.ac.uk/chemical-biology), a world-leading molecular science innovation hub (>£100M research portfolio).
- Deputy Director of the £4.6M EPSRC Chemical Biology CDT (www.icb-cdt.co.uk/).
- Elected Member of the RSC’s CBID Council.
- Management team of Sainsbury’s Farming Scholarship programme. Themes include Soil science & management, and Data management. Providing opportunities to engage end-users (e.g. farmers) directly with academics & industry partners to stimulate solutions to challenges they are facing.
- Theme Coordinator for Environmental and Green Chemistry: (www.imperial.ac.uk/chemistry/research/research-themes/environmental-and-green-chemistry/)
- Co-Director of MRes in Chemical Biology: Multidisciplinary physical scientists for next generation biological, biomedical and pharmaceutical R&D (www.imperial.ac.uk/chemistry/postgraduate/mres-courses/chemical-biology/)
- Co-Director of MRes in Plant Chemical Biology: Multidisciplinary Research for Next Generation Agri-Sciences (www.imperial.ac.uk/chemistry/postgraduate/mres-courses/plant-chemical-biology/)
APPLICATIONS FROM EARLY CAREER RESEARCHERS:
My group is always on the lookout for talented early career researchers at PhD, PDRA and Fellowships levels. If you would like to learn more about direct funding opportunities available in the group or discuss opportunities for applying for funding for PhD (e.g Imperial Colllege PhD Scholarship Scheme) and fellowship positions please contact Dr Laura Barter at email@example.com
et al., 2019, Building a synthetic mechanosensitive signaling pathway in compartmentalized artificial cells, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol:116, ISSN:0027-8424, Pages:16711-16716
et al., 2019, Bicarbonate inhibition of carbonic anhydrase mimics hinders catalytic efficiency: Elucidating the mechanism and gaining insight toward improving speed and efficiency, Acs Catalysis, Vol:9, ISSN:2155-5435, Pages:1353-1365
et al., 2018, Measuring bilayer surface energy and curvature in asymmetric droplet interface bilayers, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Vol:15, ISSN:1742-5662
et al., 2017, Rheological Droplet Interface Bilayers (rheo-DIBs): Probing the Unstirred Water Layer Effect on Membrane Permeability via Spinning Disk Induced Shear Stress, Scientific Reports, Vol:7, ISSN:2045-2322
et al., 2017, Investigation of inhibitor-protein interactions in plants & mammalians from EVV 2DIR data, 254th National Meeting and Exposition of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS) on Chemistry's Impact on the Global Economy, AMER CHEMICAL SOC, ISSN:0065-7727