- BSc: Queens’ University, Belfast 1978
- Lecturer in sedimentology: Queens’ University, Belfast 1980 - 1981
- PhD in sedimentary and tectonic geology: Queens’ University, Belfast 1982
- Research Fellow: Keele University 1982 – 1984
- Research Fellow: University of Cambridge, Cambridge Arctic Shelf Programme 1984 – 1992
- Senior Lecturer: Open University, 1992 - 1995
- Head of Research and Higher Education: Royal Geographical Society 1995 – 2006
- Academic Tutor: Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London 2006 –
- Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching, Faculty of Engineering Imperial College London 2015
With a breadth of experience in a range of educational settings, since joining Imperial College London, my focus has been on enhancing the student experience, with an emphasis on learning and teaching. The Department of Earth Science and Engineering has been consistently highly ranked for learning and teaching since 2011.
The Faculty of Engineering, recognising the importance of the learning and teaching and the wider student experience is recognised worldwide for its learning and teaching. My role is to continue to enhance the student experience for all students in the Faculty.