I am a professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and I lead the Biostatistics and Data Science theme of the MRC Centre for Environment and Health (http://www.environment-health.ac.uk/)
My main interests are related on the methodological aspects of environmental exposure estimation and on spatial and spatio-temporal models for disease mapping and for risk assessment.
Check out my research group page at http://www.envstats.org
Follow me on twitter: @martablangiardo
Currently I am working on the following areas:
- Air pollution modelling: methods (univariate and multivariate) to integrate data from different sources in the presence of spatial misalignment.
- Environmental epidemiology: individual and ecological data integration to study the link between aircraft noise and mortality/hospital admissions for cardiovascular outcomes ANCO project
- Climate change: (i) develop Log-Gaussian Cox Process models and comparison with other disease mapping specifications to evaluate the effect of temperature on respiratory related hospital admissions.
I have co-authored a book on the Integrated Nested Laplace approximation (INLA) for spatial and spatio-temporal applications.
• High School Diploma: Liceo Classico "P. D'Anghiera", Arona (Novara, Italy), 1997.
• Summa cum Laude MSc in Statistics, Demography and Social Sciences, University of Milan Bicocca (Italy), 2001. Thesis in Epidemiology, titled "Parametric and semi-parametric approaches in meta-analysis of observational studies".
• PhD student in Applied Statistics, University of Florence (Italy), January 2002 - December 2004. Thesis titled "Statistical models for estimating gene expression variability".
• 2005- January 2010 Research Associate in Biostatistics and Genomics, Imperial College, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, London, UK.
•February 2010-2015 Lecturer in Biostatistics, Imperial College, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, London, UK.
•October 2015-June 2018 Senior Lecturer in Biostatistics, Imperial College, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, London, UK.
•From March 2017 Academic honorary contract at Public Health England, UK.
•From July 2018 Chair in Biostatistics, Imperial College, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, London, UK.
et al., Air conditioning and heat-related mortality: a multi-country longitudinal study, Epidemiology, ISSN:1044-3983
et al., A spatial joint analysis of metal constituents of ambient particulate matter and mortality in England, Environmental Epidemiology, ISSN:2474-7882
et al., 2020, Advances in spatio-temporal models for non-communicable disease surveillance, International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol:49, ISSN:1464-3685, Pages:i26-i37
et al., 2020, Risk of respiratory hospital admission associated with modelled concentrations of Aspergillus fumigatus from composting facilities in England, Environmental Research, Vol:183, ISSN:0013-9351, Pages:1-10
et al., Small-area methods for investigation of environment and health, International Journal of Epidemiology, ISSN:1464-3685