Naomi Chayen is Head of the Crystallization Group in Computational and Systems Medicine
Structural biology and structural genomics/proteomics.
- Crystallization of proteins and other biological molecules of medical interest for the purpose of 3-D structure determination for rational drug design
- Crystallization of proteins related to cancer therapy
- Analytical studies in order to gain an a fundamental understanding of the crystallization process and apply this knowledge to solve crystallization problems
- Design of new, non-standard methodology for production of high-quality crystals for X-ray crystallography
- Design and application of smart and nano materials for crystallization
- Automation and miniaturization to nano-scale crystallization in high throughput mode
- Women of Outstanding Achievement for Innovation & Entrepreneurship Commendation (2012)
- Innovator of the Year (2011)
- Investigator of the Year (2011)
- Nine patents and several commercial products.
- Ditsiou A et al. 2020. The structure-function relationship of oncogenic LMTK3. Science Advances 6(46) DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abc3099
- Nanev CN, Saridakis E, Govada L, Kassen SC, Solomon HV, Chayen NE 2019, Hydrophobic Interface-Assisted Protein Crystallization: Theory and Experiment, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 11, 12931-12940.
- Levenstein et al., 2019, Droplet microfluidics XRD identifies effective nucleating agents for calcium carbonate, Advanced Functional Materials 2019 1808172.
- Khurshid S, Govada L, Wills G, McClure MO, Helliwell JR, Chayen NE. 2018, Chlamydia protein Pgp3 studied at high resolution in a new crystal form, IUCrJ 5, 439-448, ISSN: 2052-2525
- Nanev, C.N., Saridakis, E. and Chayen, N.E. (2017) Protein crystal nucleation in pores. Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group 7:35821.
- Govada L, Leese HS, Saridakis E, Kassen S, Chain B, Khurshid S, Menzel R, Hu S, Shaffer MSP, Chayen NE (2016) Exploring Carbon Nanomaterial Diversity for Nucleation of Protein Crystals, Scientific Reports Nature Publishing Group 6:20053
- Leese, H.S., Govada, L., Saridakis, E., Khurshid, S., Menzel, R., Morishita, T., Clancy, A.J., White, E.R. Chayen, N.E. and Shaffer, M.S.P. (2016) Reductively PEGylated carbon nanomaterials and their use to nucleate 3D protein crystals: a comparison of dimensionality. Chemical Science 7, 2916-2923.
- Chain B, Arnold J, Akthar S, Brandt M, Davis D, Noursadeghi M, Lapp T, Ji C, Sankuratri S, Zhang Y, Govada L, Saridakis E, Chayen NE (2015) A Linear Epitope in the N-Terminal Domain of CCR5 and Its Interaction with Antibody. PLOS One Vol: 10(6): e0128381
- Khurshid S, Saridakis E, Govada L, Chayen N. E. (2014) Porous nucleating agents for protein crystallization., Nat Protoc, 9, 1621-1633
- Saridakis E, Chayen NE. (2013) Imprinted polymers assisting protein crystallization, Trends in Biotechnology, 31, 515-520
Press Report Highlights
et al., 2019, Inactivating mutations and X-ray crystal structure of the tumor suppressor OPCML reveal cancer-associated functions, Nature Communications, Vol:10, ISSN:2041-1723
et al., 2019, Hydrophobic Interface-assisted protein crystallization: theory and experiment, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol:11, ISSN:1944-8244, Pages:12931-12940
et al., 2018, Chlamydia protein Pgp3 studied at high resolution in a new crystal form, Iucrj, Vol:5, ISSN:2052-2525, Pages:439-448
Nanev CN, Saridakis E, Chayen N, 2017, Protein crystal nucleation in pores, Scientific Reports, Vol:7, ISSN:2045-2322
et al., 2014, Porous nucleating agents for protein crystallization, Nature Protocols, Vol:9, ISSN:1754-2189, Pages:1621-1633
et al., 2012, The OPCML Tumor Suppressor Functions as a Cell Surface Repressor–Adaptor, Negatively Regulating Receptor Tyrosine Kinases in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer, Cancer Discovery
Chayen NE, Saridakis E, 2008, Protein crystallization: "From purified protein to diffraction quality crystals", Nature Methods, Pages:147-153
Chayen, N.E., 2004, Turning protein crystallization from an art into a science, Current Opinion in Structural Biology, Vol:14, ISSN:0959-440X, Pages:577-583