Advanced Water and Wastewater Treatment - CIVE97027
- To extend and deepen the scope of the introductory module on drinking water, and wastewater treatment (CI9-EE-28).
- To cover the background to water quality, standards and regulations, and more specialised unit processes of softening, ion exchange, oxidation, adsorption, and membrane systems.
- To review the fundamental basis of aerobic treatment processes, and describe methods of advanced effluent treatment for higher discharge standards and effluent re-use.
Water and Wastewater Treatment - CIVE97053
- To provide a basic description and understanding of the principal unit processes used in the treatment of drinking water and municipal wastewaters.
- This will include coverage of the scientific basis of each unit process, as well as the conventional approach to their engineering design. By reviewing the variety of raw water qualities commonly found, and the prevailing drinking water quality standards that must be compiled with, the course will highlight and detail the typical configurations of unit processes used in the UK and internationally.
- In the area of wastewater treatment the course will provide an understanding of the kinetic theory of biological growth and apply it to typical aerobic processes, and an appreciation of the purpose and practice of sludge treatment.
Environmental Management in Developing Countries - CIVE97037
- Gain insight and understanding of the inter-relationships between water, wastes and health in developing countries.
- Examine the issues of tropical public health, and study an introduction to epidemiology and water-borne, insect-borne and helminth diseases and their control in relation to water supply, sanitation and irrigation.
- Consider impacts of air pollution. Particular topics include the choice of water source and its protection, low-cost water treatment, distribution and storage, planning and design of low-cost sanitation, effluent re-use, and waste management and disposal in environmentally developing countries.
- Provide examples of field practice and case studies.
- Cover a broad range of multidisciplinary subject fields relevant to environmental management in developing countries.
Design Project Environmental - CIVE97032
- To gain insight and skills in the design of environmental engineering processes.
- To apply knowledge gained in lectures and general reading to a real-world problem in order to experience the need for engineering judgement, empiricism and an integrated approach.
- To work effectively within a team to deliver a multi-faceted engineering process design.