Dr Merlo's research focuses primarily on the role and influence of marketing within organisations, services and relationship marketing, the use of power and politics to study marketing phenomena, and marketing-related decision making.
- Liu, Eisingerich, Auh, Merlo and Chun (2015) "Service Firm Performance Transparency: How, When and Why does it Pay Off?", Journal of Service Research.
- Merlo, O., Eisingerich, A. and Auh, S. (2014) "Why Participation Matters", MIT Sloan Management Review, 55(2), p.81-88.
- Eisingerich, A., Auh, S., and Merlo, O., (2013) “Acta Non Verba? The Role of Customer Participation and Word of Mouth in the Relationship between Service Firms Customer Satisfaction and Sales Performance”, Journal of Service Research.
- Merlo Omar and Auh, S. (2011) The power of marketing within the firm: its contribution to business performance and the effect of power asymmetry, Industrial Marketing Management, 41(5), p.861-873.
- Merlo Omar, Lukas B.A., and Whitwell G.J., (2012) “Marketing's reputation and influence in the firm”, Journal of Business Research, 65, p.446-452.
- Merlo, Omar (2011) “Marketing’s Influence from a Power Perspective”, European Journal of Marketing, 45, p.1152-1171.
- Merlo, Omar and Auh, S. (2010) “Marketing’s Strategic Influence in Australian Firms: A Review and Survey”, Australasian Marketing Journal, 18(2), p.49-56.
- Merlo, Omar and Auh, S. (2009) “The Influence of Marketing in Entrepreneurial Firms: The Role of the Marketing Subunit and its Impact on the Market Orientation-Performance Relationship”, Marketing Letters, 20(3), p.295-311.
- Merlo, Omar, Lukas, B., and Whitwell, G.J. (2008) “Marketing and Heuristics”, Marketing Theory, 8(2), p. 189-204.
- McPhillips, Simon and Merlo, Omar (2008) “Media Convergence and the Evolving Media Business Model: An Overview and Strategic Opportunities”, The Marketing Review, 8(3), p. 237-254.
- Merlo, Omar, Bell, S., Menguc, B., and Whitwell, G.J. (2006) “Social Capital, Customer Service Orientation and Creativity in Retail Stores”, Journal of Business Research, 59(12), p. 1214-1221.
- Merlo, Omar, Whitwell, G.J., and Lukas, B. (2004) “Power and Marketing”, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 12(4), p. 207-218.
- Merlo, Omar (2000), “Flexibility and Stretching Rights: The No-Disadvantage Test in Enterprise Bargaining,” Australian Journal of Labour Law, 13, p. 207-236.
- Merlo, Omar (1999), “The Ship in Troubled Waters: Developments in European Monetary Integration,” Contemporary European Studies Association of Australia Review, 23/4, p. 21-43.
- Merlo, Omar (2009) “Building a Market Oriented Business Starts from Within: The Role of Internal Marketing and Human Resources Management”, The Human Factor, 4(1), p.68-71.
- Merlo, Omar and Meier, Ines (2008) “Innovation in Market Research: The Ethnographic Method”, Strategic Innovators, 1(4), p. 75-81.
- Merlo, Omar and Meier, Ines (2009) “It’s Time to Get that Midas Touch!”, 4Ps: Business and Marketing, October.
- Merlo, Omar (2009) “Watch where those scissors are going: Marketing in a recession”, Business & Economy, April.
- Merlo, Omar (2008) “How to Thrive in the Age of Social Networking”, Strategic Business Risk: Consumer Products, Ernst & Young, p.13.
- Merlo, Omar (2001), “Marketing in the Classroom: The Impact of Teaching Techniques on Student Participation,” Ormond Papers, 18, p. 133-144.
REFEREED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Eisingerich, Merlo, O., A., Heide, J. and Tracey, P. (2013) "Customer Satisfaction and Purchase Behavior: The Role of Customer Input", Proceedings of the AMS Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Auh, S., Merlo, O. And Lukas, B. (2011) "The Power of Marketing, R&D and Finance: Performance Effects and the Complementary Role of Innovativeness", Proceedings of the Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference, Perth, Australia.
- Merlo, Omar, Seigyoung Auh and Simon Bell (2010) "Linking Marketing Subunit Power to Firm Performance: A Contingency Approach", Proceedings of the American Marketing Associations Winter Educators’ Conference, New Orleans, USA.
- Merlo, Omar, Seigyoung Auh and Simon Bell (2010) "Beyond Market Orientation: The Contribution of Marketing Subunits within Organizations”, Proceedings of European Marketing Academy Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Merlo, Omar and Seigyoung Auh (2009) “Marketing Subunits and Business Performance”, Proceedings of ANZMAC Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Menguc, Bulent, Simon Bell, Jan Heide, Omar Merlo (2009) “Network Strength in Service Employee Teams: Implications for Information Processing and Customer Orientation,” Proceedings of the World Marketing Congress, Oslo, Norway.
- Yin, Eden, Omar Merlo and Kamal Munir (2008) “Chinese Firms and International Expansion,” Global Marketing Conference Proceedings. Shanghai, China, CD-ROM, 10 pages.
- Yin, Eden, Omar Merlo and Simon Bell (2008) “Global Mindedness and Strategic Orientation of Chinese Firms in Their Internationalization Process,” Proceedings of the Academy of World Business Marketing and Management Development Conference. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, p. 16-25.
- Bell, Simon, Andreas Eisingerich, and Omar Merlo (2007) “The Paradox of Customer Education in Professional Services,” AMA Frontiers in Services Conference Proceedings. San Francisco, USA, abstract published.
- Merlo, Omar, Seigyoung Auh, Jan Heide and Simon Bell (2007) “The Role of Marketing Departments in Entrepreneurial Firms and its Impact on the Market Orientation-Performance Relationship,” European Marketing Academy Conference Proceedings. Reykjavik, Iceland, abstract published.
- Bell, Simon, Omar Merlo, and Eden Yin (2007) “Too Much of a Good Thing: Organizational Learning as Resource or Distraction?”, INFORMS Marketing Science Conference Proceedings. Singapore, abstract published.
- Merlo, Omar and Simon Bell (2006) “Marketing’s Strategic Influence and Representation within Australian Manufacturing Firms,” Academy of Marketing Science Conference Proceedings. Seoul, Korea, CD-ROM, 20 pages.
- Bell, Simon, Seigyoung Auh, Bülent Mengüç, and Omar Merlo (2006) "Service Employee Social Networks, Information Processing, and Customer Orientation," AMA Frontiers in Service Conference Proceedings. Brisbane, Australia, CD-ROM, 15 pages.
- Bell, Simon, Bulent Menguc, and Omar Merlo (2005) “Creativity and Retail Store Performance: A Social Capital Perspective,” Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress Proceedings. Münster, Germany, p. 469-479.
- Merlo, O., Lukas, B.A., and Whitwell, G.J (2004) “Power Perspectives and Marketing”, Academy of Marketing Conference Proceedings, Birmingham, UK, CD-ROM, 11 pages.
- Bell, Simon, Bulent Menguc, and Omar Merlo (2004) “From Individual Learning to Organizational Learning: The Contingent Role of Information Processing Capability,” American Marketing Association Winter Conference Proceedings, Vol 15. Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, p. 274-275.
- Merlo, Omar, Bryan A. Lukas, and Gregory J. Whitwell (2003), “Marketing’s Influence within the Firm: A Conceptual Model and Research Propositions,” Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress Proceedings. Perth, Australia, abstract published.
- Merlo, Omar, Bryan A. Lukas, and Gregory J. Whitwell (2003), “Toward a Conceptual Understanding of the Alleged Decline of Marketing’s Influence within the Firm,” American Marketing Association Winter Conference Proceedings. Vol 14. Orlando, USA, p. 337-346.
- Merlo, Omar, Bryan A. Lukas, and Gregory J. Whitwell (2002), “The Decline of the Strategic Role of Marketing? A Portrayal of the Alleged “Crisis”,” Academy of Marketing Conference Proceedings. Nottingham, UK, abstract published.
- Merlo, Omar, Gregory J. Whitwell, and Bryan A. Lukas (2002) “Past, Present and Future of the Crisis of Marketing: A Two-Step Content Analysis,” Society for Marketing Advances International Conference Proceedings. Heidelberg, Germany, CD-ROM, 4 pages.
- Merlo, Omar, Gregory J. Whitwell, and Bryan A. Lukas (2001) “Understanding the Crisis of Marketing,” Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference Proceedings. Auckland, New Zealand, CD-ROM, 10 pages.
- Merlo, Omar (2009) “Pets.com Inc.: The Rise and Fall of a Pet Supply Retailer”, Ivey Publishing.
- Bell, Simon, Bulent Menguc, and Omar Merlo (2004) “Social Capital, Customer Orientation and Creativity in Retail Stores,” Service Systems and Service Management. Volume II, p. 844-849.