Dr Paolo Montaldo gained his MPhys in Medicine, Honours cum laude, from the Second University of Naples, Italy, in 2007 . He obtained the MSc in Paediatrics from the same University. In 2012, he completed a six-month fellowship in Neonatology at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Since 2014, he has been working as a member of Dr Sudhin Thayyil research group at the Centre of Perinatal Neuroscience of the Imperial College, London. During his time at the Imperial College, he has been interested in white matter injury in neonatal sepsis and has been closely involved in neonatal MR imaging.
- Montaldo P, Pauliah SS, Lally PJ, Olson L, Thayyil S. Cooling in a low-resource environment: Lost in translation. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2014 Oct 31.
- Montaldo P, Rosso R, Chello G, Giliberti P. Cardiac troponin I concentrations as a marker of neurodevelopmental outcome at 18 months in newborns with perinatal asphyxia. J Perinatol. 2014 30. doi: 10.1038/jp.2014.1.
- Montaldo P., Cuccaro P., Rapacciuolo A. et al. Cardiac Thrombus in a Newborn: Treatment with Heparin. Eur J Cardiovasc Med. 2013; 2, doi:10.5083/ejcm.20424884.103.
- Montaldo P., Montaldo L., Iossa AC et al.Small renal size in newborns with spina bifida: possible causes. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2013 Mar 30.
- Montaldo P., Tafuro L., Rea M. et al.. Desmopressin and oxybutynin in Monosymptomatic Nocturnal Enuresis: a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial and an assessment of predictive factors. BJU Int. 2012; 110 :E381-6.
- Montaldo L., Montaldo P., Cuccaro P. et al. Effect of feeding on non-nutritive sucking habits and implications on occlusion in mixed dentition. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2011;21:68-73.
- Cuccaro P, Rapacciuolo A, Vitiello R, di Pietro E, Montaldo P., Esposito F, Maresca G, Correra A. Propranolol for severe hemangioma of infancy. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2011; 12:5.
- Cuccaro P, Rapacciuolo A, Vitiello R, di Pietro E, Montaldo P, Esposito F, Maresca G, Correra A. Infantile facial haemangioma and subclinical left ventricular dysfunction: the importance of z score in the diagnostic and therapeutic process. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2010;11:692-4.
- Montaldo L., Montaldo P., Caramico N. et al. Effects of saliva substitutes on oral status in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabet Med. 2010;27:1280-3.
- Montaldo P, Tafuro L, Narciso V et al. Correlations between enuresis in children and nocturia in mothers. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2010;44:101-5.
- Tafuro L, Montaldo P, Iervolino LR et al. Ultrasonographic bladder measurements can replace urodynamic study for the diagnosis of non-monosymptomatic nocturnal enuresis. BJU Int. 2010;105:108-11.
- Specchio N, Cusmai R, Volkov J, Montaldo P, Vigevano F. Occurrence of a prolonged nonepileptic motor status after a febrile seizure. Epilepsia. 2006;47:1079-81.
CHAPTER OF BOOKS:
- P. Montaldo, L. Montaldo, B. Chaban, S. Thayyil. Perinatal Infection as Risk Factor of Neonatal Encephalopathy. In: Angelina R. Santos ed. Asphyxia: Risk Factors, Prevalence and Neurological Impacts. Nova Publishers, 2015.
- L. Montaldo, P. Montaldo. Bottle feeding and dentition. In: Preedy V.R. et al. ed. Dietary and nutritional aspects of bottle feeding. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers, 2014:509-530.
- F. Vigevano, P. Montaldo, N. Specchio, L. Fusco. Epileptic spasms : Ictal patterns. In: John Library Eurotext ed. Progress in epileptic spasms and west syndrome. Condè-sur-Noireau France. F. Guzzetta, B. Dalla Bernardina, R. Guerrini, Vol 4. 2007: 61-70.
et al., 2019, Magnetic resonance spectroscopy assessment of brain injury after moderate hypothermia in neonatal encephalopathy: a prospective multi-centre study, Lancet Neurology, Vol:18, ISSN:1474-4422, Pages:35-45
et al., 2019, Whole blood gene expression reveals specific transcriptome changes in neonatal encephalopathy, Neonatology, Vol:115, ISSN:1661-7800, Pages:68-76
et al., 2018, Therapeutic hypothermia for mild neonatal encephalopathy: A systematic review and meta-analysis, Archives of Disease in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition, ISSN:1359-2998
et al., 2018, Therapeutic hypothermia initiated within 6 hours of birth is associated with reduced brain injury on MR biomarkers in mild hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy: a non-randomised cohort study, Archives of Disease in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition, ISSN:1359-2998
et al., 2018, Prospective research in infants with mild encephalopathy identified in the first six hours of life: neurodevelopmental outcomes at 18-22 months, Pediatric Research, Vol:84, ISSN:0031-3998, Pages:861-868