After an early career in the armed forces (overseas), Ricky (Reetoo) Banarsee graduated in Psychology before embarking a career in healthcare. He was appointed Senior Tutor (Mental Health) at Shenley Hospital/NWLHT in 1986 and later entered general management as Head of Mental Health Community Services in Brent. In the early 1990’s he worked on a DH project with Westminster Social Services setting up the Joint Homeless Team in West London before being appointed as Head of Mental Health Education for North West London College. In 2000 he was appointed as the Director of the Applied Research Unit (NHS Brent) and the West London Primary Care Research Network (WeLReN) based at Imperial College. Ricky also Senior Research Fellow at Imperial and a Visiting Professor at New Bucks University has been involved in many of the major innovations which have shaped West London Primary Care Research over the last 15 years including the setting up of the WeLReN, CLRN, PCRN_GL, CLARHC and West London Primary Care Consortium (WLPCC). He has an active overseas portfolio which includes advisory consultancy to the Child Mental Health Services in Kiev. He is presently advising the Govt of Mauritius and the Open University of Mauritius in setting up a Masters in Public Health. He is also a member of the WHO Collaborating Centre based at Imperial College and Member of the Faculty of Public Health.
- Ougrin D, Banarsee R, Dunn-Toroosan V, Majeed A. (in press) Suicide Survey in a London Borough. Primary Care and Public Health Perspectives. Journal of Public Health
- Ougrin D, Zuntel T, NG A, Banarsee R, Bottle A, Taylor E. (in press) Trial of Therapeutic Assessment in London (TOTAL): Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial of Therapeutic Assessment versus Standard Psychosocial Assessment in Adolescents Presenting with Self-Harm. Archives of Disease in Childhood
- Anju Verma, Ruthie Birger, Himanshu Bhatt, Joanna Murray,Chris Millet,Sonia Saxena,Ricky Banarsee,Shamini Gnani, Azeem Majeed. Ethnic disparities in diabetes management: a 10 year population-based repeated cross-sectional study in UK primary care. Journal of Public Health January 2010 pp1-9
- Ougrin D, Banarsee R. ADHD – A review for Primary Care Clinicians – London Journal of Primary Care – April 2010
- OugrinD, Chatterton A, Banarse R (2010) ADHD: Review for Primary Care Practitioners London Journal of Primary Care 3: 45–51
- Majeed A, Banarsee R, BSc, Molokhia M. Health Disparities and Community Participation in England. 2009 J Ambulatory Care Manage Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 297–301
- Ougrin D, Banarse R (2008) Depression in young people. A UK perspective NeuroNews (in Russian)
- Banarsee R, Ougrin D. Clinical guidelines.BMJ Careers 2008;189-190
- Ougrin,D, Banarsee,R. How to get publish. BMJ Career Focus 2007; 334: 26-27
- Ougrin D, Banarsee R. There's no getting away from it. No need to run and hide. BMJ Career Focus 2006;333:68-69
- Ougrin D, Banarsee R (2006) Principles of the organisation of psychiatric services in the UK Therapia 64: 123-126 (in Ukrainian)
- â¨Ougrin D, Banarsee R (2006) A Guide to Clinical Audit British Medical Journal Career Focus 333:68-69
- Thomas,P., Oni,L., Banarsee,R. Antenatal screening for haemo globino-pathies in primary care: whole system participatory action research project. British Journal of General Practice 2005;55:424-428
- Robinson, N., Brindley, H, & Banarsee, R. (2004) Recording complementary medicine in primary care. Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies. December
- Banarsee, R., A Collaborative model of breast-feeding: An implication of good practice. Department of Health 2003
- C.Osonnaya, K Osonnaya, M Abdi, S Smith, R Banarsee, P Thomas Inequality and Co-morbidity Problems in the Community 2: The Importance of Clinical Governance (2003) International Journal of Medicine (IJM) Volume 7, Number 3, Pages 202 – 204
- D N Baxter, C Baxter, L Fincham, D Ball, J Watkeys, J Chapman & R Banarsee: Standardising Immunisation Practices: a preliminary survey of the role of Patient Group Directions. Public Health Medicine Volume 4, Issue 2, Pages 33 - 68 (2002)
- Banarsee, R., A Collaborative model of breast feeding: An implication of good practice. Department of Health 2002
- Kaplan GR, Charlesworth CH, Banarsee R. A mars bar is not an adequate fatty meal – A comparison with Calogen.. Clin Radiol. 1995 Sep;50(9):662
- Banarsee R. (1994). Homeless Mentally Ill Initiative Project. Interim Report to the DH.
2013 Clinical Effectiveness in Primary Care - Paper presented at the International Conference on Primary Care - Mauritius
2010 Quality management in primary care – A UK perspective. Paper presented at the Institute of Child Health (Kiev). April 2010
2009 Clinical Effectiveness in Primary Care – A Case Study - Taiwan International Conference in Primary Care – Taipei
2008 Mental Health Research in Primary Care. LONRAD. Using NICE Guidelines for Depression. An audit of GPs compliance.
2007 Clinical Audit – Challenges for Primary Care. Paper presented at the International Conference on Public Health. November 2007, Mauritius
Mental Health Policy in Primary Care. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Ukraine Psychiatric Association , September 2007, Kiev, Ukraine.
2006 Planning of Child health Services in the Community. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Ukraine Psychiatric Association , November, Kiev, Ukraine.
Organising the ASCOT clinical trial in primary care. UK Primary Care Research Network
International Mental Health Research Conference – Kiev. Organisation of Primary Care in the UK. A case study.
Urgent Care Network Annual Conference. An audit of A&E services.
2005 SAPC Annual Conference. Cambridge University. Primary Care Research Network – Experience from North West London.
Gap analysis in Complementary Medicine in Primary Care. UK Primary Care Research Network Annual Conference
International Mental Health. Kiev. Management of Chronic Mental Health in the community.
2004 SAPC Annual Conference – Glasgow. Primary Care – An evaluation of research Networks.
WeLReN Conference. Health – Social Research partnership. Is it feasible?
2003 2003 practice nurse 10th annual conference (Liverpool). Role of Primary Care Research
NICE National Conference. Breastfeeding pattern among refugee mothers. An audit of service.
2002 Conference of North American Primary Care Research Group (New Orleans). An evaluation of UK Primary Care Research
WeLReN Annual Conference. Primary Research Capacity building. Where are we now.?