I was trained in Geoscience and now use techniques developed by geochemists to explore essential metals in biological systems.
I work in the MAGIC metal-free clean laboratory to isolate metals from tissues for high precision stable isotope analysis. I am currently investigating the uptake of cadmium in plants, using Multiple Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry.
I am also currently one of the ESE Postdoc Reps.
The main focus of my PhD was investigating the potential of high precision stable isotope analysis to understand the metabolism of essential metals (e.g. Zn, Cu, Fe) in the human body. Although mainly focusing on Zn metabolism in the healthy state, I also collaborated with medical researchers to investigate Zn in breast cancer.
- PDRA - ESE - Imperial College London - July 2017-present
- PhD student - ESE - Imperial College London. 2013-2017
- Visiting PhD student - Department of Earth Sciences, Oxford University. 2013-2014
- MSci. Geoscience - Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University. 2009-2013
- The 19th Biennial National Atomic Spectroscopy Symposium - St. Mary's University, London. 2018
- European Conference on Nanofilms 2018 - Cranfield University - special session talk title: Zinc isotopes as a possible biomarker for breast cancer.
- Launch of Cancer Research Center of Excellence - Imperial College London. 2017
- 32nd International SEGH conference - Brussels. 2016 - poster title: High precision zinc stable isotope analysis of biological reference materials.
- 11th Annual Zinc Meeting - Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge. 2015
- Geochemistry Group Research in Progress Meeting 2015 -NOC, Southampton. Talk title: Understand human diseases using trace metal stable isotope analysis.
- Parkinson's UK Research Conference - York. 2014
- Imperial Graduate School Technical Presentation Fishbowl course 2014. Talk title: Metal isotopes and human diseases.
- Oxford Geology Group Colloquium, Young Geoscientist Competition 2014. Talk title: The role of metal isotopes in human diseases.
- Geochemistry Group Annual Research in Progress Meeting 2014 - Milton Keynes. Poster title: Understand human diseases using trace metal stable isotope analysis.
- Teaching Assistant for ESE undergraduate modules (Solid Earth Geochemistry and Climate). 2013-2017
- Workshops for Global Summer School, Imperial College London. 2015-2017
- UNIQ summer school - laboratory practical and tutorial. 2014
- New Scientist Live- with the The Geological Society. 2017
- Pint of Science Chapter Manager. 2016-present
- Pint of Science Imperial College London Coordinator. 2015-2016
- Imperial Fringe Festival- volunteer on The Geological Society stall (Year of Water). 2016
- Imperial Festival volunteer with Mars Curiosity Rover stall. 2015
- Pint of Science Event Manager (Planet Earth theme). 2014-2015
- Science advisor for UK Space Design Competition. 2013-2016
et al., 2017, High Precision Zinc Stable Isotope Measurement of Certified Biological Reference Materials Using the Double Spike Technique and Multiple Collector-ICP-MS, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Vol:409, ISSN:1618-2642, Pages:2941-2950
et al., 2017, Inter-calibration of a proposed new primary reference standard AA-ETH Zn for zinc isotopic analysis, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, Vol:32, ISSN:0267-9477, Pages:415-419