Dr. Hassounah is teaching fellow at the Department of Primary Care & Public Health (a WHO Collaborating Centre for Public Health Education and Training), Imperial College London. She is actively involved in health system strengthening research, assessing and building health workforce capacity with particular focus on low-middle income countries and health systems in transition.
Dr Sondus’s Background is in clinical practise. She graduated from the Faculty of Medicine (Cairo University) where she received her MBBS and worked as a Doctor. She then moved onto Public Health, working in harm reduction for HIV prone communities, predominantly Injecting Drug Users (IDU’s), and People Living with HIV (PLHA), as well as the TB department at the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office for the World Health Organization (EMRO) where she liaised with local government and International partners on capacity building, research and project management in the region.
Coming to Imperial College London, and after being awarded a MPH (Masters in Public Health) in 2012, her main research focus has been geared towards Universal Health Coverage and equity in health. In addition to her teaching portfolio at Imperials’ School of Public Health, which includes the BSc in Global Health and the MPH, Dr Hassounah leads on building health workforce capacity in different countries through training and education, with a particular focus on pedagogical approached to learning. She is also currently undertaking her doctoral studies which explores the impact of Human-Resources-for-Health (HRH) policies on their performance.
- Simmons J, Amati-Sculfor F, Hassounah S. The effect of diet on anxiety disorders: A systematic review. BMJ Open (2018) (in process)
- Toukan Z, Santoro, Seita A, Khader A, Hassounah S. Quality assessment of hypertension e-services of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA). EMHJ (2018) (in process)
- Barnett-Vanes A, Hassounah S, Shawki M, Ismail O, Fung C, Kedia T, Rawaf S, Majeed A et al., The impact of conflict on medical education: a cross-sectional survey of students and institutions in Iraq, BMJ Open, ISSN: 2044-6055
- Shaikhan F, Rawaf S, Majeed A, Hassounah S. Knowledge, attitude, perception and practice towards antimicrobial use in upper respiratory tract infections in Qatar: a systematic review. RSM Shorts (2018)
- Banks C, Rawaf S, Hassounah S. Factors influencing the tobacco control policy process in Egypt and Iran: A scoping review. GHRP. Global Health Research and Policy (2017)
- Abou El Fadl R, Blair M, Hassounah S. Integrating Maternal and Children's Oral Health Promotion into Nursing and Midwifery Practice- A Systematic Review. PLOS One (2016)
- Binmoammar T, Hassounah SOA, Rawaf S, Majeed A, Alsaad S et al., The Impact of poor glycaemic control on the prevalence of erectile dysfunction in men with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review., JRSM open, ISSN: 2054-2704
- Hassounah S (2014, November). The Right to Health: The challenge of securing good health in the Arab States. Poster presented at the 7th European Public Health Conference, Glasgow, UK. EJPH 24;2 (2014)
- Rawaf S. Hassounah S. Codification and Implementation of the ‘Right to Health’ in the Arab World. In: Toebes B, Ferguson R. Markovic M., Nnamuchi O. (eds.). The Right to Health: A Multi-Country Study of Law, Policy and Practice. T.M.C. Asser Institute and authors; 2014. P.135-165. ISBN 978-94-6265-013-8
- Hassounah S, Rawaf D, Khoja T, Rawaf S, Hussein M, Qidwai W, Majeed A. Tobacco Control efforts in countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC): Achievements & Challenges. EMHJ 2014;20:508-513
- Rawaf S, Hassounah S, Dubois E, Abdalrahman B, Raheem M, Jamil H and Majeed A. Living conditions in Iraq: 10 years after the US-led invasion. J R Soc Med 2014;107: 187
- FHI360-Guidelines for conducting HIV support groups. Cairo: FHI 360, 2012.
- FHI 360. Soliman C, Elkamhawi S, Hassounah S, Abaza O - FHIMeeting Adolescent Reproductive Health Needs in Egypt Final Report . Cairo: FHI 360, 2009.
- Ministry of Health-Egypt. HIV/AIDS Biological and Behavioural Surveillance Survey-Round two Summary Report. Cairo: MOH-Egypt, 2010.
Amati F, Hassounah S, Swaka A, 2019, The impact of Mediterranean dietary patterns during pregnancy on maternal and offspring health, Nutrients, Vol:11, ISSN:2072-6643
Abou El Fadl R, Blair M, Hassounah S, 2016, Integrating maternal and children's oral health promotion into nursing and midwifery practice- a systematic review, Plos One, Vol:11, ISSN:1932-6203, Pages:1-15