- Impact of Internet on the economy.
- Intellectual Property Rights.
- Competition Policy.
- Public procurement.
Selected recent and forthcoming publications (see also http://ideas.repec.org/f/pva219.html)
- Internet and Politics: Evidence from UK Local Elections and Local Government Policies, joint with A. Gavazza and M. Nardotto, Review of Economic Studies, 2019.
- Horizontal mergers and product innovation, with G. Federico and G. Langus, IJIO, 2018.
- The value of personal information in online markets with endogenous privacy, with R. Montes and W. Sand-Zantman, Management Science, 2019.
- Evaluating market consolidation in mobile communications, with C. Genakos and F. Verboven, Economic Policy, 2018.
- Speed 2.0 - Evaluating access to universal digital highways, joint with G. Ahlfeldt and P. Koutroumpis, JEEA, 2017.
- Net Neutrality: A Fast Lane to Understanding the Trade-offs, joint with S. Greenstein and M. Peitz, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2016.
- Net neutrality and innovation at the edge and at the core, joint with C. Reggiani, IJIO, 2016.
- Unbundling the incumbent: Evidence from UK broadband, joint with M. Nardotto and F. Verboven, JEEA, 2015.
- Evaluating a decade of mobile termination rate regulation, joint with C. Genakos, Economic Journal, 2015.
- Net Neutrality, Exclusivity Contracts and Internet Fragmentation, joint with F. Kourandi and J. Kraemer, Information Systems Research, 2015.
- Net neutrality with competing Internet platforms, joint with M. Bourreau and F. Kourandi, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2015.
- Calling circles: Network competition with non-uniform calling patterns, joint with S. Hoernig and R. Inderst, RAND Journal of Economics, 2014.
- Vertical bargaining and countervailing power, joint with A. Iozzi, AEJ: Microeconomics, 2014.
- Pharmaceutical innovation and parallel trade, joint with A.R. Bennato,IJIO, 2014.
- Market Structure, Countervailing Power and Price Discrimination: The Case of Airports, joint with J. Haskel and A. Iozzi, Journal of Urban Economics, 2013.
- Intertemporal movie distribution: Versioning when customers can buy both versions, joint with J. Calzada, Marketing Science, 2012.
- Testing the waterbed effect in mobile telecommunications, joint with C. Genakos, JEEA, 2011.
- Incentives for input foreclose, joint with R. Inderst, European Economic Review, 2011.
- Seesaw in the air, joint with C. Genakos, Information Economics & Policy, 2011 (lead article).
- Buyer power and the Waterbed effect, joint with R. Inderst, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2011 (lead article).
- Active waste and passive waste in government spending: evidence from a policy experiment, joint with O. Bandiera and A. Prat, American Economic Review, 2009.
- Price discrimination in input markets, joint with R. Inderst, RAND Journal of Economics, 2009.
- Information exchange and competition in communications networks, joint with C. Cambini, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2008.
- Network competition and entry deterrence, joint with J. Calzada, Economic Journal, 2008.
- Content and advertising in the media: pay-tv versus free-to-air, joint with M. Peitz, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2008.
- Mixing goods with two-part tariffs, joint with S. Hoernig, European Economic Review, 2007.
- Differential pricing, parallel trade, and the incentive to invest, Journal of International Economics, 2006.
- Parallel Trade, International Exhaustion and Intellectual Property Rights: A Welfare Analysis, joint with S. Szymanski, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2006.
- Investments and network competion, joint with C. Cambini, RAND Journal of Economics, 2005.
- See CV
Research Student Supervision
Basalisco,B, Regulation and innovation in telecommunications (completed in 2010)
Deasley,S, Periodic Review and Regulation of the UK Electricity Industry (second supervisor, completed 2006)
Kavetsos,G, Economic impact of olympic games (completed in 2009)
Koutroumpis,P, Broadband: growth and investment (completed 2009)
Leach,S, Economics of soccer (second supervisor, completed 2006)