If your tutee’s accommodation situation is a cause for concern, listen to their worries and, as appropriate, signpost them to the relevant places on campus and online where they can find support, information and advice:
- For students settling into their hall Your Guide to Living in Halls offers practical advice, including on amenities and safety.
- The Student Hub helps students find the right place to live whether in halls of residence or in private accommodation. Advisors can also provide guidance and advice on tenancy agreements, contracts and deposits and are happy to liaise with landlords and agents on students’ behalf.
- Imperial Home Solutions, a private accommodation search engine affiliated to the College, also provides some basic advice on contracts.
- The Advice Centre is a free, impartial and confidential service provided by Imperial College Union. It can offer practical help, such as legal advice on unfair terms in housing contracts.
- Students can find lots of helpful information on finding accommodation here, including a step-by-step guide for searching private accommodation, and information on council tax and private halls.
- Be aware of fraud and view the Fraud warning issued by the Metropolitan Police.
All first year students who accept an offer of a place at Imperial as their firm choice are guaranteed a place in College accommodation provided they're eligible and complete their application by the deadline. Arrangements can be made for some students, for example those with disabilities to stay in halls in subsequent years.