Transition and culture shock
"He makes an effort to meet twice a term to see how I am doing and he provides advice on how to have a good and healthy work-life balance as an international student."
Settling into life at Imperial College can be challenging for any student and may be even more so for those also getting used to life in the UK. The links to ideas and resources below should be useful when supporting your tutees with this process:
- Information from the UK Council for International Student Affairs on culture shock;
- Insight into managing academic shock and language shock from the Centre for Academic English;
- Details of social activities offered by International Student Support;
- Listings of numerous clubs, societies and social opportunities offered by the Imperial College Union;
- Advice on coping with isolation, loneliness and homesickness from Imperial Student Space;
- Advice on adopting culturally inclusive teaching practices.