Applications for Research Fellowships
We welcome Fellowship candidates from the UK and overseas. The Department provides a highly supportive environment in which to develop your career and we currently host Fellows at all stages of career development. We are an Institute of Physics Juno Champion and Athena Silver Swan award winner in recognition of promoting best practice and gender equality for all our members.
Candidates wishing to select us as their host are advised to please contact the relevant Research Group to discuss their application as soon as possible as the Department holds a selection process for Fellowship schemes and you will need a member of academic staff to act as a internal sponsor during the application process.
There are a wide range of Fellowships available but each has specific rules and regulations - please ensure that you have read the sponsor's information and can meet the eligibility requirements before contacting us.
The deadlines for potential applications to reach the Research Group will appear here as the next round of the schemes are announced and applications received after these respective dates will not normally be considered. If you are interested in a scheme that doesn't appear in the lists below then please do still contact the relevant Research Group to discuss.
If you are approved to submit a formal application the Department will assist you throughout the application process. We set internal submission deadlines which are substantially earlier than the sponsor deadlines to allow for sufficient preparation and approval time, you will be advised of this and you can also see the deadlines on the application guidance webpage.
The Postdoc Development Centre provides a series of training activities such as workshops on "Preparing Successful Fellowship Applications", one-to-one support and mock interviews.
Tabbed information block
Nominations closed on 21st July 2017
Nominations closed on 1st August 2017
Please contact Research Groups, each Group is allowed to nominate up to three applicants to the Departmental review, their deadline to do so is 10 August 2017 and they may have earlier internal deadlines. A nomination consists of your CV, publications list, and brief research proposal summary.
Please contact Research Groups, their deadline to submit to the Departmental review is 14 August 2017 and they may have earlier internal deadlines. A nomination consists of your CV, publication list, and a brief research proposal summary.
The Physics Department internal deadline is Monday 21August 2017 to Louise Hayward who will organise the Head of Department signature and collate and submit to College. Applicants will need to submit the monitoring form and arrange for the confidential reference to be sent direct to Research Fellowships by 29 August 2017.
You need an Imperial sponsor that you will need to arrange, there is no Departmental nomination process for this scheme.
The Imperial Physics Departmental deadline for confirmation you are applying with us is 1 September 2017 and our deadline for ECAS access to be given and forms to be complete is 8 September 2017.
The College EU Office are happy to read draft proposals - their deadline is 21st August 2017 - contact James Lloyd with any queries.
Please contact Research Group. There is no nomination deadline but candidates need Departmental approval to apply.
Please contact Research Groups, their deadline to submit to the Departmental review is 14th September 2017 and they may have earlier internal deadlines (Astrophysics is 7th September 2017). A nomination consists of your CV, publication list, and a brief research proposal summary.
Please contact Research Groups, their deadline to submit to the Departmental review is 8th January 2018 and they may have earlier internal deadlines. A nomination consists of your CV, publication list, and a brief research proposal summary.
Deadlines for the following schemes will appear as the calls are announced:
- EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships (internally managed by Imperial)
- Imperial College Research Fellowships
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships
- NERC Independent Research Fellowships
- Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowships
- Royal Astronomical Society Fellowships
- Royal Comission 1851 Research Fellowships
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship
- Royal Society Newton Fellowships
- Royal Society URF
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships
- Timeliness of Fellowship at this point in your career
- Independent Researcher
- Current standing within the national / international community
- Referees & their comments
- Quality, originality and potential impact of proposed research
- Broader context surrounding the research
- Abilty to plan and manage resources
- Ability to communicate to a generalist audience
- Potential to fulfil the wider responsibilities of an academic career (teaching, public engagement etc) and evidence of leadership ability
- Appropriateness of the Group with whom you want to work with
- Alignment with the strategic priorities of the research council/sponsor