Applications for Research Fellowships
We welcome Fellowship candidates from the UK and overseas. The Department provides a highly supportive environment in which to develop your career and we currently host Fellows at all stages of career development. We are an Institute of Physics Juno Champion and Athena Silver Swan award winner in recognition of promoting best practice and gender equality for all our members.
Candidates wishing to select us as their host are advised to please contact the relevant Research Group to discuss their application as soon as possible as the Department holds a selection process for Fellowship schemes and you will need a member of academic staff to act as a internal sponsor during the application process. A guidance document about this process is available.
There are a wide range of Fellowships available but each has specific rules and regulations - please ensure that you have read the sponsor's information and can meet the eligibility requirements before contacting us.
The deadlines for potential applications to reach the Research Group will appear here as the next round of the schemes are announced and applications received after these respective dates will not normally be considered. If you are interested in a scheme that doesn't appear in the lists below then please do still contact the relevant Research Group to discuss.
If you are approved to submit a formal application the Department will assist you throughout the application process. We set internal submission deadlines which are substantially earlier than the sponsor deadlines to allow for sufficient preparation and approval time, you will be advised of this and you can also see the deadlines on the application guidance webpage.
The Postdoc Development Centre provides a series of training activities such as workshops on "Preparing Successful Fellowship Applications", one-to-one support and mock interviews.
Tabbed information block
Nominations now closed.
Deadlines for the following schemes will appear as the calls are announced:
- EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships (internally managed by Imperial)
- Imperial College Research Fellowships
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships
- NERC Independent Research Fellowships
- Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowships
- Royal Astronomical Society Fellowships
- Royal Comission 1851 Research Fellowships
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship
- Royal Society Newton Fellowships
- Royal Society URF
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships
- Timeliness of Fellowship at this point in your career
- Independent Researcher
- Current standing within the national / international community
- Referees & their comments
- Quality, originality and potential impact of proposed research
- Broader context surrounding the research
- Abilty to plan and manage resources
- Ability to communicate to a generalist audience
- Potential to fulfil the wider responsibilities of an academic career (teaching, public engagement etc) and evidence of leadership ability
- Appropriateness of the Group with whom you want to work with
- Alignment with the strategic priorities of the research council/sponsor