How to Peer Review Research Papers
Information and Booking
Tutor: Dr David T Jones - Independent Consultant
Cost: Internal no charge.
Duration: 0.5 day (11:30 - 14:00)
What have past participants found most useful?
- How to break up the peer review process and limit it. Receiving a template for reviewing, nobody teaches this!
- The session really helped me organise the reviews and familiarise myself with the whole process. It also helps me write good papers.
- Dr David T Jones is a perfect presenter and speaker; it was an excellent, engaging, practical session.
The ability to review papers should be a core skill of every research scientist. With the growing number of manuscripts being submitted to scientific journals, editors are increasingly reliant on independent experts who can deliver good-quality reviews in a timely fashion.
This course is designed for postdocs and researchers at the early stage of their career who have little or no experience of peer-reviewing.
- How the peer-review process works from submission to publication
- Recent developments such as “open” peer-review
- The reviewer’s obligations
- The criteria against which scientific papers should be evaluated
- The requirement for objective, specific, constructive and balanced comments that will assist both the editor and the author(s)
- The amount of time involved in reviewing a paper