Designing and Delivering Research Projects in Academia
Information and Booking
What have past participants found most useful?
- Excellent course overall with terrific trainers!! (NHLI Postdoc)
- Great overview of managing research. Useful to look at contracts and sticky step planning. Discussions at the end were very, very useful looking back at what the group expected from the day. Thanks!
Financial, Administrative and Communication Advice for Early Career Researchers
Formerly known as Planning and managing research projects in academia
This course is designed to introduce postdocs and fellows to the scientific, financial, administrative and managerial aspects of planning and completing a research project within the academic environment. We showcase tools and techniques to help you prepare and carry through projects whether working on independent research programmes funded by research councils/charities, or working in collaborative projects funded by industry/biotechs.
Common pitfalls and problems are discussed, along with ideas for staying ahead of the game. The importance of developing and maintaining good relationships within teams and with funding bodies is highlighted. Participants also get the opportunity to meet and learn from people who have taken on new roles in managing research projects.
- Planning tools and tips (budgeting, resource management, team building)
- Financial systems and the influence and demands of funders
- Communication and collaboration, both within teams, and with external stakeholders
- Keeping track of research progress (milestones and deliverables)
Risk registers and contingency plans
For this programme, you can request to be added to our waiting list if the programme dates are listed as "fully booked".