This section highlights personal and professional development opportunities for postdocs and fellows from the first day of your postdoc through to the next stage of you career, whether that involves leading your own research group or employment outside of academia.
Explore our Themes
How to Use the PFDC throughout Your Postdoc
When you first start at Imperial:
- Learn what the PFDC has to offer- A Successful Career Begins at Imperial
- Make sure you’re signed up for the newsletter—monthly workshops are advertised exclusively there
- Meet your departmental rep
- If this is your first postdoc, think about attending "Making the Most of Your Postdoc"
Once you’ve settled in:
- Attend workshops and courses to develop your personal and professional skills as needed
- Request a one-to-one appointment with a PFDC advisor
- Consider attending "Planning for Success Beyond Your Postdoc"
Towards the end of your postdoc:
- Sign up for a CV clinic (advertised in the newsletter) and courses to prepare for your next application
- Become a panellist for mock interviews to learn more about the candidate selection process
- Once you have an interview, book a mock interview with the PFDC
- If you will soon be starting your own group, attend "Managing Your First Research Group"
How to Use the PFDC throughout Your Fellowship
When you first start at Imperial
We recommend that you a look at this flowchart [PDF – PFDC Courses - assigned to fellows by year 2016-2017] which outlines the courses that the PFDC offer that are particularly relevant to fellows and a suggested time frame to attend theses course according to the type and duration of your fellowship.
In particular, we recommend that you:
- Attend "So You’ve Got Your Fellowship, Now What?"
- If you’re just starting your first research group, take part in "Managing Your First Research Group" followed by "Leadership in Research: Vision, Strategy and Team Culture"
- Email PFDCemail@example.com and sign up for the fellows’ mailing list, so that you can be kept up to date on all the latest events and opportunities for fellows, including the Fellows Forums
Once you have settled in
- If you building your research group or will be in the near future, sign up to be on the mock interview panel list so that you can gain some first-hand experience of recruitment