Opportunities grouped under professional development focus on skills and competencies to advance you in your career. Our flagship suite of residential courses addresses development for postdocs and fellows.
PFDC Courses and Workshops
- Designing and Delivering Research Projects in Academia
- Discovering Your Teamwork Strengths
- Great Presentations for Great Results
- How to Peer Review Research Papers
- Innovation and Industry: Effective Project Implementation
- Project Management: Core Skills
- So You’ve Got Your Fellowship, Now What?
- Time Management for Postdocs
The PFDC offers a suite of training courses designed to support your professional development from the day you start your postdoc until the day you move on. Whether you are just embarking on your first postdoc or you are an experienced postdoc thinking about your next step, we have a course that meets your specific needs, helping you to make the most of your current post and successfully plan your next step.
- Making the Most of Your Postdoc is a three-day residential course for postdocs in their first two years
- Planning for Success Beyond Your Postdoc is a multi-day programme for postdocs with two to four years of experience
- Managing Your First Research Group is a two-day residential course for new and aspiring principal investigators
- Leadership in Research: Vision, Strategy and Team Culture is a two-day residential for fellows and senior postdocs that builds on materials covered in Managing Your First Research Group.
For all residential courses, accommodation expenses, including meals during the course, will be met by the Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre.
Resources at Imperial
Courses offered by the Learning and Development Centre
- Collaborative Working
- Influencing and Negotiating Skills
- Personal Review and Development Plan (PRDP)
- Project Management
- Recruitment and Selection Training
- Research Ethics: Making a Successful Application to the Committee
Courses offered by the Library
Courses offered by the Education and Development Unit
- Assisting with PhD Supervision
- Communicating Knowledge
- Interactive Teaching
- Laboratory Teaching
- Setting and Marking Assessments
Investigate how to become an Associate of the Higher Education Academy via the Imperial Star Framework
- Statistical Advisory Service (SAS) – Advice and training in statistical methods and software (SPSS/Stat/Matlab/R/Clinical Trials)
Other Resources at Imperial
- Lynda.com: As a member of Imperial you can access and use lynda.com, the online subscription library, free of charge, which includes:
- How to use the latest version of software packages in a wide range of creative (Video, Web design, Animation, Audio and Music, Photography),
- Business-related subjects (Education and e-Learning, Office, CAD, Business, Marketing)
- Peer Review – The nuts and bolts
- See also UK support for researchers under Useful Links