PhD Opportunities at Resource Geophysics Academy
The overarching goal of Resource Geophysics Academy at Imperial College London is to carry out world class research and to train PhD students in geophysics. It will provide an excellent opportunity for well-qualified students from top universities of China, to gain their PhD degrees from Imperial College London in technology oriented disciplines that China needs for its long-term development goals.
There are multiple scholarships available immediately. The scholarship is funded by Sinopec, the largest energy-resource company in China. This Sinopec PhD scholarship covers overseas student fees (and bursaries for living in London), and meanwhile Sinopec provides job opportunities for scholarship recipients when they complete their PhD studies from Imperial College London.
The PhD studies will focus on innovative and cutting-edge research on both geophysical theory and application. The PhD students will conduct research on hydrocarbon reservoirs, their geophysical responses, and how to utilise geophysical data for understanding and detecting such reservoirs.
There are two types of scholarships:
- Full scholarship covers tuition fees (at overseas rate if applicable) and bursaries;
- Partial scholarship covers tuition fees (at overseas rate if applicable). Students might be granted other scholarships for bursaries, such as CSC scholarship.
The academy currently has 3 vacancies for 20/21 entry.
Who should apply
Successful applicants are expected to have strong background in some of the following areas:
- Applied mathematics;
- Computational skill;
- Engineering physics;
- Computing physics;
- Programming skill such as C.
Imperial College will interview individuals and make conditional offers to selected applicants. These applicants will sign a contract with Sinopec for the PhD scholarship.
How to apply
Make an application
Please fill your application form through the Imperial College Online Application Portal.
The applicants could send the application draft to the potential supervisors for comments and suggestions, before the final online submission.
Guidelines of application
- PhD applicants should fill in online application forms, following the standard requirement for a PhD position from Imperial College;
- The "Academic programme" is "Earth Science and Engineering Research (PhD)";
- The "Scholarship" is "Resource Geophysics Academy scholarship";
- The "Proposed research topic" can be either proposed by the applicant or selected from a suggested project list;
- For "Research supervisor", please check with Professor Yanghua Wang before applying.
For further queries, please contact Professor Yanghua Wang, the Principal of the Resource Geophysics Academy, via email@example.com.
- Valid English test result, which meets Imperial College’s English language requirement;
- Research proposal;
- CV (please include full educational background dated back to high-school);
- Academic transcription(s);
- A list of referees (at least two and at least one from your undergraduate studies).