The CHARIOT Register: Cognitive Health in Ageing Register Investigational, Observational and Trial Studies in Dementia Prevention and Healthy Ageing Research
The CHARIOT Register is a collaboration between general practitioners (GPs) and the
School of Public Health (specifically, the Ageing Epidemiology (AGE) Research Unit and the Global e-Health Unit) at Imperial College London. It is a Register made up of healthy volunteers interested in taking part in research to better understand approaches to dementia prevention and healthy ageing. The CHARIOT Register is vital to facilitate the research conducted at AGE. The Register has been highly successful throughout both its pilot stage and further development, and now holds data of nearly 40,000 volunteers. Evidently, the prevention of age-related neurodegenerative diseases is of interest to many individuals.
The CHARIOT register: Aims
- To build a register of 'cognitively healthy' individuals aged 50-85 who are interested in research
- To provide opportunities to participate in investigational, observational and clinical trials specifically aimed at predicting and preventing diseases of ageing
• To facilitate research for Alzheimer's disease, dementia prevention, and healthy ageing more generally.
The CHARIOT register: Timeline
- 2012 - the CHARIOT register was established and the first volunteers invited by their GPs
- 2014 - the first volunteers from the CHARIOT register invited to take part in a research study; 86 volunteers took part in the UK Funnel Study
- 2017 - over 30, 000 volunteers have joined the register from 172 GP surgeries across West and North London. Almost 4, 000 of those have taken part in research studies.
- 2021 – close to 40, 000 volunteers have by now joined the CHARIOT Register, covering nearly 200 GP surgeries and community groups. Every Register participant who joined before the end of 2020 has by now been invited to at least one research study
Interested in getting involved?
Interested in getting involved?
If you are interested in joining the CHARIOT Register and taking part in related research studies, please follow this link to check your eligibility for the Register and to request a copy of the CHARIOT Register Participant Consent Form. You will be asked some simple questions to determine if you’re able to join the Register and if so you’ll be sent an email with a link to an electronic consent form for the Register. This form has more information about the CHARIOT Register for you to read, and will ask for some basic contact details and demographic information about you. We will add these details to our Register, and contact you as and when we have opportunities for you to participate in research.
Alternatively, if you have questions or would like us to send you a hard copy of the form, please fill in the form below and a member of the CHARIOT Register team will contact you directly with further information as per your request.
If you have any further queries, please do contact our team at email@example.com .
We process all data in line with Imperial College London’s Data Protection Policy. We will only use the data you provide via this form for the purposes of processing and responding to your interest in joining the CHARIOT register. Please read our Register GDPR Privacy Notice. If you have any queries you can contact a member of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use a third-party emailing and mailing service providers to carry out our Register-related activities. By signing up to our CHARIOT Register, you are giving us authorisation to store your data on Campaign Monitor and Docmail.