To investigate the origin, composition and evolution of comets
To study the relationship between cometary and interstellar material
To understand better the processes which led to the formation of the solar system
This will be achieved through:
- Global characterisation of the cometary nucleus (dynamic properties, surface morphology, composition).
- Chemical, mineralogical and isotopic compositions of volatiles and refractories in a cometary nucleus.
- Physical properties and interrelation of volatiles and refractories in a cometary nucleus.
- Study of the development of cometary activity and the processes in the surface layer of the nucleus and the inner coma (dust-gas interaction).
- Study the solar wind-comet interaction; to map the plasma boundaries and observe their evolution as cometary activity develops.