Developing Excellence Scheme (DES)
Awards of up to £1000 in any sport to those with aspirations to compete nationally or internationally.
Awards up to £1000
Available to students studying during 2015/16 academic year
- Application deadline 18 December
- Interviews week commencing 18 January 2016
The Developing Excellence Scheme (DES) provides support to student athletes to help aid sporting development whilst studying at Imperial. DES awards have been allocated in a wide range of sports, including track cycling, squash, sailing, lacrosse and athletics.
Last year (2013/14) we had 18 students receive a DES scholarship.
About the scholarship
You must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a scholarship
- performing to a high standard in your chosen sport
- have aspirations to compete nationally and internationally representing Imperial in BUCS or other approved competitions
- scholarships are available to current and prospective students*
- scholarships are available whether you are studying as an undergraduate or a postgraduate
- you must make satisfactory progress academically
- you must reapply annually to have your scholarship renewed
* prospective students should check which year of entry the current round of scholarships are being awarded. You cannot apply for a scholarship a year in advance.
You can be awarded up to the maximum of £1000 from the DES scheme.
As well as the funding, we are also able to offer the following benefits to our scholars:
- strength and conditioning session
- physiotherapy and sports massage sessions
- Sport Imperial branded kit
- access to lifestyle support
- access to skills workshop
- access to a sports psychologist
- access to a nutrition advisor
- opportunity to win 'Scholar of the Month'
Any financial support received can only be used for the following areas:
- competition and training expenses (travel, event accommodation etc.)
- kit and equipment
Our expectations - terms and conditions
In return for this support, you will be required to:
- represent Imperial in all British University and Colleges Sports (BUCS) competitions
- be available for selection for all other representative student sport events
- keep Sport Imperial fully informed of progress and results
- acknowledge support of Sport Imperial in all communications with the media
- provide end of season review for website and other promotional materials
How to apply
Please note: This round of scholarships are only for students undertaking courses at Imperial in the 2015/16 academic year. If you are starting Imperial in September 2016, please apply next year.
- Complete the application form online
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an informal interview and informed of decisions in writing
Round 2 for scholarship funding January - August 2016
Application deadline: Friday 18 December
Interview dates : Week commencing 18 January