Introduction to Leadership and Management at Imperial (ILMDP prerequisite)
Information and Booking
Trainers: LDC Consultants
Cost: Internal no charge. External not available
Duration: 2 x 0.5 days (09:30 - 12:30)
Format: Online and self-study
06 & 13 November - Fully booked
01 & 08 December - Fully booked
18 & 25 January
03 & 10 March
22 & 29 April
20 & 27 May
16 & 23 June
20 & 27 July
Feedback from past participants
"...Better than expected, enjoyable. Gave me a completely different view on management."
"Better than I expected. Very useful insights and tools. Great trainers!"
"Course exceeded my expectations as I have gained numerous valuable tips and processes that I will implement immediately." - Tammy Barrett - Medicine
This intensive session is a prerequisite for Imperial Leadership and Management Development Programme specifically designed to meet the needs of new managers in the College with responsibility for other staff.
Before applying for the ILMDP, you will need to attend this session first as a standalone module.
To give line managers relevant knowledge, skills and confidence to effectively lead and manage others, understand their own impact on others and be able to adapt leadership and management style.
Who should attend
The course is aimed at those who have been recruited or promoted to a first position of management (i.e. having responsibility for the work and PRDP of another staff). The course will also be relevant to more experienced managers who are new to the College and/or those wishing to refresh their knowledge.
- The course consists of self-study and virtual sessions focused on practice
- The virtual session is delivered over two half days and participation on both dates is required
- Please complete relevant self-study prior to attending the virtual session which builds on materials covered there
- Pre and post-workshop self-study consist of bite-size theory, questionnaires, quizzes, articles, etc. and can be accessed in own time (you don’t have to be booked to the virtual session to access self-study materials)
Psychometrics used in this workshop:
- The Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) provides a framework and language for ourselves and others and working effectively with differences. MBTI underpins much of the theory on this programme and completion of the online MBTI questionnaire is required prior to commencing the programme.
The course has been designed to match specific elements of the Management and Leadership National Occupational Standards.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the Imperial Expectations and how they relate to their role as leader/manager.
- Increase self-awareness, reflect on personal preferences and how this impacts management style.
- Understand different leadership styles.
- Know what constitutes excellent communication skills
- Understand all the elements of People and Performance Management Cycle and how to apply it.
- Know how to develop and motivate individuals.
- Identify the principles of delivering and receiving an effective PRDP and engage in a two-way purposeful PRDP conversation.
- Understand how to build performance in remote workers.
For this course, you can submit a booking form to be added to our interest list if a date is showing as "Fully Booked".