Introduction to Management at Imperial
Information and Booking
Trainers: LDC Consultants
Cost: Internal no charge. External not available
Duration: 2 days (09:30 - 17:00)
27 June & 04 July - Fully booked
23 & 30 July
Feedback from past participants
"...Better than expected, enjoyable. Gave me a completely different view on management."
"Did meet my expectations, and more so...It is the starting course of my ILMDP. I am looking forward to the courses ahead and start implementing what I have learnt."
"Better than I expected. Very useful insights and tools. Great trainers!"
"Course exceeded my expectations as I have gained numerous valuable tips and processes that I will implement immediately." - Tammy Barrett - Medicine
This intensive 2 day session is the first core element of the Imperial Leadership and Management Development Programme specifically designed to meet the needs of new managers in the College with responsibility for other staff. The course was created and piloted in 2008/09 and comprehensively reviewed and updated in 2012 and again in 2014. Evaluations show that delegates gain useful new knowledge and can apply their learning back at work to get better results.
To give line managers the knowledge, skills, opportunity to practice and confidence to allow them to effectively manage individuals.
Who should attend
The course is aimed at those who have been recruited or promoted to a first position of management (i.e. having responsibility for the work and PRDP of another staff). The course will also be relevant to more experienced managers who are new to the College and/or those wishing to refresh their knowledge.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the Imperial Expectations and how they relate to their role as manager.
- Have learnt about MBTI, reflecting on their personal preferences and how this impacts their management style.
- Understand different leadership styles and how they should apply them to managing individuals.
- Know what constitutes excellent communication skills and have a model within which to apply this to get things done.
- Understand all the elements of People and Performance Management Cycle and how to apply it.
- Know how to develop and motivate individuals.
- The Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) provides a framework and language for ourselves and others and working effectively with differences. MBTI underpins much of the theory on this programme and completion of the online MBTI questionnaire is required prior to commencing the programme.
- Completion of the short Pre-Course Questionnaire is a further requirement. Completed questionnaires should be brought to the programme on the first day.
The course has been designed to match specific elements of the Management and Leadership National Occupational Standards. Delegates must be able to attend both dates.
For this course, you can submit a booking form to be added to our interest list if a date is showing as "Fully booked".