Leading Successful Teams
This intensive two-day course is Core 2 element of the Imperial Leadership and Management Development Programme. The focus is specifically on the opportunities and challenges of leading teams; Inspiring and enabling them to perform well.
Delegates should leave a minimum of 6 months between completion of "Introduction to Managing Groups and Teams" and "Leading Successful Teams" in order to apply their learning in their day-to-day roles and be in the best possible position to get the most out of the course.
This course aims to develop enhanced skills of team leadership using a range of models, metrics and practical experience. The emphasis throughout will be on helping others to perform better collectively, practical application and synergy.
Who should attend
This course is designed for people who manage a team of a reasonable size and/or their role requires them to strongly influence the work and productivity of other people’s teams, such as Departmental Operational Managers.
It is expected that delegates will have completed the "Introduction to Management at Imperial (ILMDP prerequisite)" and "Introduction to Managing Groups and Teams" and be reasonably confident in their ability to support and manage the performance of individuals.
Those who have no team or only manage a very small number are still encouraged to join the course, but may have to vary their preparation and plan how to put into practice the tools and techniques in Leading Successful Teams. If you fall into this category, please contact one of the consultancy team to discuss your needs.
You will be expected to be conversant with MBTI types and take these under consideration when working with a team.
Some potential delegates may not have sufficient familiarity with MBTI and it may be possible to attend a short focussed workshop in advance of the programme. Please contact the LDC if you need to attend an MBTI workshop
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Use a range of effective leadership practices
- Adapt style and techniques to support achievement of team tasks
- Identify neglected leadership tasks and responsibilities and commit to action
- Give and receive feedback effectively
There are two pieces of preparatory work required for this course – it is essential that you understand this and commit to completing them.
- An integral part of this course includes a 360° review. This process will start 6 weeks before the start of the course and more information about it can be found here.
- A Leadership Practices Inventory will be sent to you approximately 10 days before the beginning of the course. You need to complete it and bring it with you to the course. It will be sent by internal mail using your address on the College directory.
Post course follow-up and support
One to one coaching is available through the Imperial Coaching Academy to support delegates in putting their learning into practice following the course.
For this course, you can submit a booking form to be added to our interest list if a date is showing as "Fully booked".