Introduction to personal tutoring has been adapted for online delivery and will be offered on the following dates:
- Friday 24 September and Wednesday 06 October
- Friday 03 December and Friday 17 December
The online version consists of 2 x two and a half-hour live synchronous session on MS Teams, plus approximately one hour of pre-session work and 30 mins of post-session work. Live sessions will run from 10.00-12.30 and you will be required to attend both sessions.
Further dates will be released later in the year.
Please subscribe to the EDU newsletter to receive updates on forthcoming EDU offerings.
- Kate Ippolito
- Claire Fox
Who should attend?
Due to COVID-19 restrictions this workshop has been adapted for online delivery and addresses the same intended learning outcomes as the face-to-face workshop. The online version consists of 2 x two and a half-hour live synchronous session on MS Teams, plus approximately one hour of pre-session work and one hour of between session work. You should attend both live sessions.
Designed for staff who are (or will soon be) personal tutors, this workshop helps new tutors prepare themselves for this important role and provides them with information about how they can best support their tutees. There are opportunities for participants to discuss issues of particular interest or concern.
Please note that this workshop is provided in the context of Imperial College practice and policy. For this reason we normally only accept Imperial staff or NHS staff who act as personal tutors to Imperial students.
- Understanding the role of the Personal Tutor at Imperial
- The importance of making and maintaining contact with your tutees
- Who are your tutees and what might they want your help with?
- Conversational strategies for supporting and developing students
- Sources of support and development for students and personal tutors at Imperial
- Responding to the specific needs of students, including those from a variety of cultural backgrounds and with a range of disabilities
- Managing confidentiality and disclosure
Imperial STAR Framework
This workshop is particularly suitable for those seeking recognition at D1 or D2 level of the Imperial STAR Framework. It addresses the following dimensions of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) (at Higher Education Academy): A2, A4, K3, V1, V2, V4.
Imperial's online Personal Tutor's Guide has been developed to complement this workshop and to provide an up-to-date, one-stop source of information for Imperial’s many Personal Tutors. Its purpose is:
- To bring together the information, contacts and resources that personal tutors find useful when developing and supporting tutees.
- To orientate and inform those new to personal tutoring at Imperial.
- To highlight new information and guidance to experienced personal tutors.
The guide itself falls into four main sections:
Each section provides guidance, tips and links, carefully put together to give you the information you need as quickly and easily as possible.
If you have any questions about the guide, please contact Kate Ippolito.