Opening a bank account
When coming to work in the UK you will probably need to open a bank account. The rules and regulations for opening a bank account in the UK are very strict, therefore, please do take as much documentation with you as you can.
Before you come to the UK
When coming to work at the College from overseas you may wish to consider carrying out the following steps before you actually come to the UK:
- The bank in your home country may have a special relationship with a bank in the UK. Speak to your bank before you leave for the UK.
- Ask your bank if you can use your cash card in UK bank machines and if there is any charge.
- Find out how you can transfer money to and from the UK and how much this costs.
Find out about...
Types of UK bank accounts
There are two main types of bank account for managing everyday money, a basic account and a current account. Banks in the UK do not charge a fee for basic and current accounts. A third type of account is a packaged account, customers pay a monthly fee for these accounts in exchange for benefits such as travel, home and mobile phone insurance.
In order to open one of these accounts you will need to complete an application form and provide certain personal information and documentation.
Info to open a bank account
To open a bank account, you will need the following documentation:
- An introduction letter confirming your job details as specified below and
- Your passport or EEA national identity card
The introduction letter must be addressed to the bank and can be supplied by your Line Manager or by HR Staff Hub. The letter will need to contain the following information:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- UK address confirmation (if the address you provide is temporary, please bear in mind that the banks forward your confidential account information to this address and also that you may need to ensure that such information will be forwarded on to you, if you move)
- Job title
- Salary (per annum)
- Contract type and
- Contract end date (if applicable)
Should you require further information on UK banking, the British Bankers Association has a downloadable leaflet (PDF document) with information on how to open a bank account if you are new or are returning to the UK, along with information on all aspects of Current Accounts including bank cards, switching accounts and joint accounts.