New staff induction pack material
To assist managers when preparing an induction programme for new members of staff, the following material is available. This material may be printed and used by managers during the induction process.
Essential induction material
The documents set out below are considered to be essential components of the induction information:
- Induction pack cover sheet [pdf]- this may be used as the front cover of the induction material
- Welcome letter [pdf]
- College Organisation Chart - link to Central Secretariat
- Induction programme for new staff [pdf] - complete the details of the person responsible for each element of induction. The ‘local source’ should be the name of a colleague working directly with the member of staff, for example the Line Manager or inductor. ‘Other sources’ are the names of colleagues outside the member of staff’s direct team.
- Staff diversity networks
- Day One Health and Safety Induction Form - complete for the new member of staff, refering to Day One Health and Safety Induction Guidance
- Key contact details - include the new member of staff’s direct team and any other useful contacts (for example Department Safety Officers, key suppliers, HR contacts, contacts in the Faculty, and people with similar roles elsewhere in the College).
- Your contact details - complete contact details for the new member of staff
- - must be completed by the new member of staff, and advise them that they must inform the Dept DSE Assessor of any adverse findings. The checklist should be retained by the Dept / Division as per their local procedures
- Health and safety line management structure - sets out specific safety relevant responsibilities for individual’s role (pdf)
Essential induction information
- The Induction Programme recommends activities for days 1 to 5, but allows planning of induction related events further into the future. It is particularly important that you think through the new member of staff’s first few days in their new role and plan appropriate tasks for them to enable early success
- Training Plan - detail any local job-specific training at departmental or College level including safety training. Also book the new member of staff onto “Imperial Insights”, the College’s induction session, which includes an option to attend a choice of two short workshops to help staff in identifying their own training and development needs. Ensure to include the date in the relevant space of the training plan.
Optional induction material and additional information
The information set out below may be of interest and help to a new member of staff and can be included as part of the induction material as relevant. Managers are also encouraged to customise the material by including local information relevant to the new member of staff:
- Campus maps - (link to pdfs)
- Dry roles guidance [PDF] - guidance on dry roles
- Disability support
- Mandatory Leave Dates
- Postdoc Development Centre postcard [pdf] - for Academic and Research staff
Additional information, for use during the induction, can be found on the following webpages
- New Staff Your first day webpage
- Opening times for issue of ID cards - link to Security
- User accounts and passwords - IT username/computer account (including email) registration - link to ICT
- The Learning Guide- for online help with Microsoft Office Applications - link to ICT
- Virtual Private Network Connection (VPN)- link to ICT
- Research Support - for information and Research Services team support
- New Leaders and Managers at Imperial - guidance and support for staff in these roles
- Guide to Consulting through Imperial Consultants - link to website
- Research Integrity - link to Research and Innovation website
- Month One Safety Training (MOST) - link to Organisational and Staff Development
- Risk Assessment Foundation Training (RAFT) - link to Organisational and Staff Development
- Library Services
- Sport Imperial
The induction material can be presented as managers prefer. Local HR Teams are able to provide a folder, such as those used when issuing contracts of employment, if this is required.