Undergraduates who assist with teaching are called UTAs. If your department uses UTAs, you can contact your undergraduate office to find out about eligibility to gain work as a UTA.

If you are already experienced as a UTA, you might be eligible to apply for Associate Fellowship of the HEA (AFHEA) (at Higher Education Academy), which would give you formal recognition of your teaching role and experience, despite still being an undergraduate: this has obvious advantages for your CV. 

It is possible that a UTA could demonstrate fulfilment of AFHEA criteria if the UTA has helped with classroom/practical learning, given feedback and/or helped create an effective learning environment for junior students. Each UTA’s application will be personal to their own experience as a teacher and some support will be required.

For enquiries on getting hired as a UTA, please contact the undergraduate administrator in your department.

For enquiries on using your experience as a UTA to gain AFHEA status, please contact Alison Ahearn (a.ahearn@imperial.ac.uk) of the EDU STAR Framework who has a special interest in UTAs.