Submit your application
Ready to submit?
Before you submit, please ensure that you have correctly completed the form including attaching your references. If you have any queries before submitting your application, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When you are ready to submit, please click on the 'Apply now' button on this page to be taken to the STAR SharePoint site (please note that we recommend you use Internet Explorer). In order to submit you will need to have the following ready:
- Application form saved as a PDF in the following format: 'Name_Application_Level' e.g. Smith_Application_D1 (See Application requirements and templates below)
- Reference 1 saved as a PDF in the following format: 'Name_Ref1_Level' e.g. Smith_Ref1_D1
- Reference 2 saved as a PDF in the following format: 'Name_Ref2_Level' e.g. Smith_Ref2_D1
If you have not attended a pre-submission workshop we strongly recommend you do so before submitting your application in order for a tutor to discuss your application with you.
Once your application is submitted, it will be checked by an adminstrator and forwarded to College reviewers. You will receive an email confirming your application number at this stage. After review, your application will be sent to the next available STAR review panel for consideration. A final decision along with feedback on your application will be emailed to you as soon as possible after the panel. Review panel dates can be found below.
Submit your application
Application requirements and templates
|Level of recognition||Documentation required|
|Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA) (at Higher Education Academy) at Descriptor Level 1||An Account of Professional Practice (APP) of approximately 1500-2000 words plus two supporting statements from referees
D1 AFHEA application template (Word)
|Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) (at Higher Education Academy) at Descriptor Level 2||An Account of Professional Practice (APP) of approximately 3000 words plus two supporting statements from referees
D2 FHEA application template (Word)
|Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) (at Higher Education Academy) at Descriptor Level 3||An Account of Professional Practice (APP) between 5000-7000 words comprised of a reflective account, two case studies plus two supporting statements from referees
D3 SFHEA application template (Word)
Further details of the criteria at each descriptor level can be found at The UK Professional Standards Framework for teaching and supporting learning in higher education (at Higher Education Academy).
At all descriptor levels, you should consider the following reflective questions to structure your written commentary:
- What did you do? Concise description of engagement including your own role
- How did you do it? Explanation of approach/methodology employed
- Why did you do it that way? Evidence and rationale for choices made: knowledge and values
- What difference did it make? Impact on learners/teachers/self/institution
Each application requires a written commentary from two referees. These referees should be in a position to comment on the development of your teaching and learning practice and support your future professional development in this area. These two people could be your line manager, supervisor, mentor, peer or Head of Department/Unit.
The commentary should be based on a face-to-face meeting with each referee in which you review your application to:
- discuss the ways in which you have contributed to the department’s or unit’s teaching and learning objectives;
- identify your future professional development needs (for example progression to the next Descriptor category) and how you might be supported to achieve these needs.
It is your responsibility to identify referees, collect your references and to include them in your STAR application. Further information for referees can be found on the For referees page.
STAR review panels
You may submit your application at any time. Review panels are scheduled around our workshops, and will take place on the following dates subject to demand.
- 20 December 2017 (submit by 6 December 2017)
- 29 January 2018 (submit by 15 January 2018)
- 23 March 2018 (submit by 9 March 2018)
Outcome of STAR review panels
You will receive the decision of the review panel within 7 working days to your Imperial College email address, unless we contact you otherwise. If you do not have an Imperial College email address, we will send the result to the email address you entered when applying. You will also receive integrated feedback from the two reviewers of your application.
If your application is successful, you can use the following post nominals:
- AFHEA - Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- SFHEA - Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy